Rear Shocks and Springs: One Day?

Seeing the 69 vs the 70-73 front brackets could answer my theories on the whole 69 vs 70+ rear suspensions.
I checked my 69 and 70/71 parts books. The '69 uses part number 2403798 for the front spring hanger.... and the 70 and 71 uses the 2403798 spring hanger too.

Same spring hangers.

I checked my 69 and 70/71 parts books. The '69 uses part number 2403798 for the front spring hanger.... and the 70 and 71 uses the 2403798 spring hanger too.

Same spring hangers.
That totally F***s up where I was going with this. :BangHead:

47" from outer edge of spring rear loop to other side in same place.
mitta.jpg

Hi guys I want to thanks everyone for the good tips what to order from ESPO. In the end I take a complete hardware for replacement. Perhaps this list below will help to somebody in the future, too.

7-leaf springs with 1" lift $350/pair
Shackles with bushings $60/pair
Ubolts $20/set of 4
Front eye bolts $6/pair

I will share my feelings once leaf springs are replaced. I will get the parts to EU somewhere in October, so its likely I will wait with installation for the warmer months second quarter 2019.

Does anyone know where I can get an NOS set of offset shackles and front spring hangers for a 1970 300?

I finally got around and tried to replace the rear leaf springs I received last October. Time is flying and have not much time to play with the cars this year. However, I was able to replace just one side and took me around 3-4 hours. Main reason being so slow was the obstacle with the screws of the front housing.

Somebody placed the screw from the inside and nut outside, so I have to remove complete front housing in order to slide out the screw. Or was it done in factory, to prevent loosing the screw by sliding out? I can see the benefits of such a decision, but was not appriciating it today :elmer:But in fact, the old bushing did want to loose old friend (screw) so I might ended up with housing removal anyway to knock it out.

Anybody knows, if such a screw placement was done in factory or previous owner messed it up? Thanks for clarification:thumbsup:
I will post some more details soon.

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-09 at 21.01.57.jpeg

Ok some more info about the new leaf springs. The car sits about 2,5inch higher then with the previous setup. Keep in mind, I have ordered custom 7 leaf springs with 1 inch over the stock height. Going from 5 tired leaf springs, the car seems to be much more tighter reducing flex and the difference is immediately noticeable. However for the overall car stand, I´m thinking to adjust the front torsion bars a little higher to lift the front a bit, as the rear is bit too high and Polara look reminds me 70s lifted up camaro. But in fact, photos were taken with the 1/3 of gas tank and no occupants, so I can easily add some weight. Finally I get rid of the occasional vibration of the dual exhaust touching the body, too. So in general I´m happy for the upgrade and would not believe the difference in the car behaviour with the new leaf springs.

Its good idea to get all the parts new, as you never know which bolt you snap in two pieces when removing the old parts or get stucked with the old grown up bushings in shackles. Below are few before/after pictures, but I have to use some older pictures for comparison as it was heavy rain while going back from the shop.

To answer the topic question Rear Shocks and Springs: One Day? I think its possible. One side took us 3-4 hours, without the shocks but they are super fast to change while you are working on the leaf springs. It could be faster if I made a better homework and knew we needs to remove the housings = applied some oil in advance to make unscrewing nuts easier.

But definitely I can recommend this upgrade to everyone, you will be pleasantly surprised with the results. For the listed pictures, please notice the inside view picture. Even the hood looks shorter due the rear side being lifted up :lol:

2019-07-12_20.16.07.jpg

2019-07-12_20.18.11.jpg

2019-07-12_20.22.32.jpg

2019-07-12_20.29.29.jpg

2019-07-12_20.30.33.jpg

2019-07-12_20.35.34.jpg

Last edited:
Springs & Things was looking into making those offset shackles. Ive never heard back from Laura. Someone has to reach out
Bad news on the shackles. I contacted Laura (I assume Ms. Laura Snyder is one and the same) at lunch time yesterday, as I will be replacing the springs on several cars, starting with Regina FQ3:

"My 383-2 1970 Polara 'vert (...) has 100k miles; the rear springs need replaced. I would like to keep things original (height, load). I would like to replace the shackles as well: they are "offset" on 1970-1973 fuselage C-bodies, unlike on 1969, but I don't see the later shackles offered on your site."

--> Here are Laura's answer:

"I have no one making the shackles for the cars that are using the offset ones. They only did them in a couple years.

My computer shows you should have the 5-leaf. We don't currently carry the 5-leaf springs, just the 6 or 7 leaf. Either of those is $330 for the matched pair and come with the front bushings pressed in. Front eye bolts are $6/pair; ubolts $20/set of 4; isolators if have the wavy kind $80/set of 4 and the shackle bushings $18 for the set to do both sides. Shipping would depend on which springs and hardware and it's currently taking about 3 weeks to ship. "
(...)
"(below) are the wavy (isolators). They would fit between the spring and the ubolt plate and bracket that's on your axle if #1 your car has isolators which I believe 72 should have but it's always possible it doesn't. Some cars have a flat sided one that we don't have.

The stance would be the same with the 6-leaf, it'd just be a little stiffer. Not too many people put the 5 in so we don't carry it. These are made to US specs in Mexico.
"

--> I have also got a quote from William at Eaton, but am waiting for extra answers before I post about the info I got.

Last edited:
Watching as I am still running stock springs with 1- ‘68 4x4 Ford leaf mid pack. I originally added it as a 6th spring, back in high school ( late ‘80’s) but jacked up the back end enough to really messed up the castor making it wander all over the road.
So I removed one of my stock leaves that was about the same length going back to 5.
So still to this day I have 4 original stock springs and one heavy duty mid pack.

Find the Ford spring.
836032F1-4BBF-4934-9252-6EC8226F5559.jpeg

it is the 3rd one down from the top.

Bad news on the shackles (...)
"I have no one making the shackles for the cars that are using the offset ones. They only did them in a couple years.

My computer shows you should have the 5-leaf. We don't currently carry the 5-leaf springs, just the 6 or 7 leaf. Either of those is $330 for the matched pair and come with the front bushings pressed in. Front eye bolts are $6/pair; ubolts $20/set of 4(...) The stance would be the same with the 6-leaf, it'd just be a little stiffer. Not too many people put the 5 in so we don't carry it. These are made to US specs in Mexico.
"

--> I have also got a quote from William at Eaton, but was waiting for answers to the questions below before I post about the info I got.

(...) before I choose between ESPO and Eaton. A few questions:

1. are the front bushings pressed in, or (do I) need to specify a request for that to be done?
2. (what about) shackles?

Well, I got a call back from William today over lunch. He told me that they have been super-busy.

One piece of bad news at Eaton: they do not sell "offset" shackles. The picture of the correct shackles that I had sent to William, courtesy of @Big_John, was the second time that he was seeing the item -- but Eaton do not carry it. I suggested that they should, but that won't help in time for me to redo the springs. :(

The initial Eaton quote with the full install kit (including incorrect shackles) was $730 (including shipping to @71Polara383's shop and tax). It only got down to $707 without the shackles and the shackle bushings, because the install kit (which includes them) "has a big discount included" (dixit William). Useless for a 1970 ragtop, good news for the owners of 1969 'verts. The front bushings are pressed in, and the Eaton quote is the same for 5 or 7 leaf springs. I have asked Laura to give me a matching quote, as the $356 she quoted are without S&H or tax.
(Edit: I got the quote, the total is $502.27 -- "$375 for the 6-leaf springs, front eye bolts, rear shackle bushings and ubolts plus $127.27 for shipping")

The ESPO springs for the 1970 'verts are made in Mexico per Laura, and the Eaton Springs are made in the States per William.

My plan is to order a "factory correct" Eaton pair of springs for Regina and a 6-leaf ESPO set for Snow White (which has a stronger engine and which sports RWL ties and a woodgrain wheel). I could order 7-leaf sets from both manufacturers, which would probably be a better deal by weight :rolleyes:, but I like my C-bodies to ride not too stiffly.

It'll be interesting to make a comparison between the two. I plan to order on Monday and should get the items by the end of the month.
(Edit: I have placed the order, it should take about 3 weeks to ship. I am waiting to talk to William at Eaton tomorrow given the bushing issue that @1970FuryConv is experiencing in the case of his own 'vert.)

Last edited:
image.jpeg
I just pulled this complete rearend out of a 70 300. Has the offset shackles with all original springs and attachments. If anybody needs a pic,measurement,etc of rearend?

Old thread but wanted to add 2 things:

Or does 70-> have wider upper shackle bushing? Because i think leaf spring is same width on all? Or does ->69 have parallel (if that is right way to say I I )leafs and 70-> has little V shape location on them?
Now for Dog Show, i post dimensions later.

Sorry...

But it does make the not so parallel leaf spring theory hold water.
If my memory is correct from 15+ years ago, I noticed the offset shackles under my 70 Fury (or was it my 70 300?) and that the springs were non parallel, and were wider at the back. As leaf springs also have resistance to twist/body roll, making a spring non-parallel to the twist it would see in body roll seems to make that a good idea. I remember thinking at the time that all C-bodies were the same underneath (at the back of the car), yet there was a notable structural difference staring back at me.

And the biggest thing!
B-body polyurethane leafspring bushings fit our cars and are relatively inexpensive. Yes, they must be lubed liberally to prevent squeaks.
I 'rebuilt' a set of leaves about 15 years ago by putting in new slider pads and added an additional leaf from another set of springs. Used poly bushings in the eyes and shackles.
When I took the shackles apart last summer to re-lube them - they came apart fairly easily, and I could've reused them (but I had new ones on-hand so I swapped them).
I doubt rubber would've been that robust.

Back