Rebuild or purchase a Remanufactured engine for my Imp?

Thank you, guys.

There is a very loud knock that seems to come from the crank.
My mechanic did not yet open to see but it sounds very bad.
I am not sure that a full overhaul is needed but my intentions are to get the car back to stock condition.

Thanks,

Hemi

First thing is to strip the engine to discover the cause of the knock. It's not good enough to trash your engine because your mechanic is "pretty sure..." If it's trashed then proceed to get another.

Just like you don't assume you have terminal cancer because of a pain somewhere - you investigate and proceed from what you discover.

All the best with your car.

Sometimes these things are fixable. Drain the oil out of it, remove and cut open the oil filter and see if any evidence can be found.

you need to disassemble the engine first to see what you are dealing with.....

Either way....you are going to have to disassemble it...

I would say to take it apart and figure out what is wrong and then make a decision....

usually you pull the engine, disassemble it and go from there....

First thing is to strip the engine...

As far as I am concerned.
Then import a long block if nec.

So, now the engine is stripped. i decided to rebuild it. Parts are being ordered, i hope it will run soon :)

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Hi Hemi. Glenn here from Wis. I owned the Banana Boat for 32 years then sold her to Ross. Hope shes up and running again, Glad you were able to save the original 440. Now get out and open that sun roof. I wish she was still mine. I still have my 81 imp Frank Sinatra with sun roof, so its not like I don't have an Imperial! Keep in touch Glenn.

Ahh the questions, now hear is something to think about with all this. If this is the original engine with the car remember it will have the V.I.N. number stamped into the block, if the engine is rebuildable I would do it. It can only be numbers matching once. The value of this car would take one hell of a nose dive once you put in another engine.

Hi Hemi. Glenn here from Wis. I owned the Banana Boat for 32 years then sold her to Ross. Hope shes up and running again, Glad you were able to save the original 440. Now get out and open that sun roof. I wish she was still mine. I still have my 81 imp Frank Sinatra with sun roof, so its not like I don't have an Imperial! Keep in touch Glenn.

Hi Glenn! Thank you for your comment! I am still in the rebuild process and hope she will be on the road again soon. I love her and hope she will give me some love too lol.
I will be glad to know as much as details about it and its history :)

The first time I met Ross he was driving the Banana Boat. I thought I would share some photos from November 2012.

Ross's Imperial 1s.jpg
Ross's Imperial4s.jpg

I remember seeing the '72 & '73 Imperials on the road when they were new. Because of the long overhang at the front and the covered headlamps, it looked like they were driving backwards.

Back