Rebuilding 6V generator into 12V generator 1955 Chrysler 300

Mike McGuire

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Chrysler enthusiasts,

I have a working 6V (positive I think) generator and power steering pump combo unit, and am looking for help on rebuilding it into a 12V unit, or better yet sending it to a shop that specializes in this.
Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Any good generator rebuild shop can do this. You will need to replace the field coils with 12v units as part of the rebuild process.

Dave

normally chrysler products were 6v negative ground...ford was positive....

Last edited:
1955 and older 6 volt systems were positive ground.
1956 was 12 volt negative ground across the board.
Thanks for that. I am aware of that and will make note to the rebuilder. Seems like Fondy is capable. I'm sending them the whole unit for examination/rework.
Mike

Another option. There are aftermarket 12v alternators that look like "old style" generators available.

Here's info from JEGS

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 11-33-13 Powermaster 82112-2 POWERGEN MOPAR BLACK 90A - JEGS High Per...png

1955 and older 6 volt systems were positive ground.
1956 was 12 volt negative ground across the board.
sorry...i stand corrected...the 6v vw's i worked on were negative ground...we used to use ford solenoids on the 12v ones as starter boosters and was told you needed a chrysler one for 6v cars as the polarity was different...amazing how you can hang on to wrong information from a parts counter guy for over 40 years...the 6v ford one that didnt work was probably just defective

Last edited:
Back