Reconnecting hood torsion bars 68 Fury

crazyboutwagons

Reaction score
So today i was opening the hood of the 68 fury wagon and the torsion bar on the passenger side came out of the hinge with a deafening sound the round bushing flew off and smacked me in the forehead when i ducked when the hood came crashing down when the rod popped off scared the crap out of me. I looked in the FSM and the procedure for reinstalling isn't real clear. Any suggestions on how to get it connected back up. The bushings look ok don't know what caused it to come apart. After have 2 shoulder surgeries i don't have the strength to muscle it back in. Suggestions appreciated.

I've used a ratcheting strap connected from the bar to the door handle. Works great. You just have to make sure you pad any areas that might get rubbed or damaged by the strap. You won't have to put that much tension on the strap. Good luck.

Azblackhemi I thought of wrapping one around the door post but worried about damaging the interior plastic panels, I'll try your suggestion.

I took one look at mine and said "Nope, never going to take them apart." Way too much of a safety hazard. Sandlasted and painted them on the car during the resto. Did grease them liberally when done.

Well i tried last night to reconnect the torsion bar to the hinge on the passenger side to no avail. As suggested by others to use a rachet strap to pull the torsion bar on the hinge i used a hose clamp to hold the rachet strap hook to the bar to prevent it from slipping however it broke once it was under pressure and the bar moved forward under extreme speed thankfully no one or anything was damaged. Looking for more suggestions and pictures of how you did/would reattach the bar. The FSM dosen't really show /explain the procedure on how to reconnect the bar.

I doubt a hose clamp can handle the stress of doing this. Use something like a tow strap that can handle 1000 lbs or more.

Back