Remember when?

tumblr_pllyztndev1uz7dy8_640.jpg

Growing up with a steep, dead end street behind the house, the kids would race them downhill... in weeks the front wheel would be flat on two surfaces as they tried to stop.

I was banned from owning a big wheel or watching anymore Speed Racer... too many kids got put into parked cars...:lol:

Glad I'm old enough to be before this death trap arrived in the stores. We had to make do with putting a old cast iron reel mower on a bicycle with pulleys of'a old washing machines from the dump. This was after old metal strap-on to your shoe roller skate nail to a board skateboard days. (we survived)

Remember when you envied your Dad when he'd pull into a gas station and say "Fill her up!". For years the best you could do was $2 at time. Once you had a job one of the first things you did on payday was "Fill her up!" even though it might cost as much as $5. The world sure has changed, "Fill her up!" can easily hit $100 and if you have dual tanks a short prayer is acceptable!
:rofl:

Dad had a 71 Road Runner loaner home when I was a senior in H.S. I went through a tank of gas one day after school. You know, trips to the library, girlfriends and such! Cost me $5 hard earned paper route money to fill the tank, but it was worth it. The sound of that car is as ingrained in my mind as the Supremes and Temps!

Something I had forgotten about that I was reminded of today. When ice cream used to come in paper boxes. I remember that it was good for one use. After you opened it, once it went back in the freezer, it turned into a block of freezer burn.

images (74).jpeg

I still use one of these at the end of the growing season to can all the leftovers. Everybody seems to have a horror story with these ticking time-bombs. The reason a new kitchen was put in our house in 1972 was because a pressure cooker blew up and the mess melted into the ceiling and wall and could not be scrubbed off.
My grandmother had one of these blow up on her once, and another time she had a cabinet so full of canning jars that the entire cabinet just fell off of the wall. Huge mess of glass and food everywhere.

Been using a pressure cooker for years, never had an incident. Pork and roast beef done to perfection in quarter of the time.

My mother used her Presto pressure cooker nearly every day and I can still hear that damn thing hissing and popping. She didn't worry about it, but whenever it hit the stove, us kids would vanish from the kitchen. When I got married, we acquired 2 as wedding presents, a 4 qt and about 7 qt. The odd time we would use the pressure feature, at least my brave wife would, but mostly I used the larger pot to make soup. Our kids also vanished from the kitchen when the pressure cooker started to hiss. Couple of years ago I bought a computerized Instant Pot. These are amazing, all the features of pressure cooking with zero hissing and no fears of explosions. Each of my pressure cooker shy kids now own and love their Instant Pots.
:thumbsup:

My mother used her Presto pressure cooker nearly every day and I can still hear that damn thing hissing and popping. She didn't worry about it, but whenever it hit the stove, us kids would vanish from the kitchen. When I got married, we acquired 2 as wedding presents, a 4 qt and about 7 qt. The odd time we would use the pressure feature, at least my brave wife would, but mostly I used the larger pot to make soup. Our kids also vanished from the kitchen when the pressure cooker started to hiss. Couple of years ago I bought a computerized Instant Pot. These are amazing, all the features of pressure cooking with zero hissing and no fears of explosions. Each of my pressure cooker shy kids now own and love their Instant Pots.
:thumbsup:
There is something about that hiss sound that strikes fear... and ive never had an accident.

There is something about that hiss sound that strikes fear... and ive never had an accident.
We didn't either, but we were all on high alert whenever the cooker was used. I think that's what I like about the Instant Pot, dead silence.

We didn't either, but we were all on high alert whenever the cooker was used. I think that's what I like about the Instant Pot, dead silence.
What kind of stuff do you cook in it, ive had one in the back of the cabinet that was a gift, but cant figure out how to make it work

What kind of stuff do you cook in it, ive had one in the back of the cabinet that was a gift, but cant figure out how to make it work
We use ours for beef stew (40min), pork ribs (35min), chicken (whole chicken 45min), corn on the cob (5 min) and on and on. Do a google search using "instant pot recipes" for a gazillion hits. Try a few recipes, it will blow your socks off.
And no I have no connection to Instant Pot!!

Back