Remember when?

15 speed tri-plex 2 stick transmission in an F model Mack and no power steering. A/C or radio and running US-22 to NYC across PA & NJ dragging a Putt-Putt bunker blower.

Last edited:
1988, I was ten and my dad gave me a 5 dollar bill and told me to ride my bike across town to Kmart. "Get me a can of freon, a pack of smokes, and spend the rest on yourself." I was in heaven. Not sure any of that could happen today. Sad

1655260349735.png

Funny reading about going to K-mart to buy freon. I bought 5 full cans from a guy last year that was cleaning out his garage that i paid $40.00 bucks for 2 of them were from K-Mart that had price tags on them for .89 cents each have no idea how old they are they are still full.

When my daughter was introduced to one of these automotive puzzles she was stumped for a few minutes. Did not make sense.

1660224761677.png

Your blowing the minds of millennials with that picture.. What the hell are those they’re asking! Lol

Yeah chief, starting with my own 36 and 34 year old daughters.

My oldest may have vague memories as a toddler, held in my arms, using these to speak to Mom, but my youngest is purely a "cell phone" baby as I recall getting my first one about the year she was born. :)

lemme show my age again. apologies in advance to the "whippersnappers" here.

one full-length movie matinee for $10.00 (ten)? how about two full-length movies for $1.00 (one)?

Yes, pay once, go see a movie, go through sn intermission, see a second movie: the "double feature"-- gone from the mainstream in my lifetime.

If you were movie going age (at least 5 years old probably) in the 1940's till late 1970's, you've probably been to a double feature. Heck, my dad recalls them as grade schooler .. he was born in 1933.

Sometimes studios were the main marketers (same studio did both movies but in different years), sometimes it appeared the local theater put it together (a newer release plus something else older from somebody else). The horror/sci-fy movies were very popular as double features.

A couple I recall seeing together in the late 1960's:

UntitledEE2ccc12812Z (2).png
1660414155202.png

lemme show my age again. apologies in advance to the "whippersnappers" here.

one full-length movie matinee for $10.00 (ten)? how about two full-length movies for $1.00 (one)?

Yes, pay once, go see a movie, go through sn intermission, see a second movie: the "double feature"-- gone from the mainstream in my lifetime.

If you were movie going age (at least 5 years old probably) in the 1940's till late 1970's, you've probably been to a double feature. Heck, my dad recalls them as grade schooler .. he was born in 1933.

Sometimes studios were the main marketers (same studio did both movies but in different years), sometimes it appeared the local theater put it together (a newer release plus something else older from somebody else). The horror/sci-fy movies were very popular as double features.

A couple I recall seeing together in the late 1960's:

View attachment 551283View attachment 551284
The "Me Too" movement would have a field day if movie posters were still like this. :icon_fU:

surely .. i can't get in trouble with this one i recall ... unless its the animal rights folks find something untoward here in this poster..

UntitledEE2ccc123NN.png

though it was from the 1950's, i saw this double feature (NOT in 3D however - that wasn't a thing in the mid-60's) at the Jayhawk Theater circa 1966 ..
UntitledEE2ccc12812Z (2).png

another relic from the past .. the downtown movie theater. Remember them?

Still around of course, but this was BEFORE malls, and 30 theater mega-plexes of today. The actual Jayhawk Theater mid sixties in Topeka, connected to the Jayhawk Hotel (another relic of downtowns that has faded from prominence in my lifetime except in the biggest cities.

UntitledEE2ccc123NN.png

Back