Removed the many years old seat covers, here's what I found, front seat too!

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
Old seat cover, rear seat on my 57 Belvedere, bottom photo, front seat too!
IMG_20240331_151948750.jpg

IMG_20240331_125551906.jpg
IMG_20240331_104005241.jpg
IMG_20240331_093628468.jpg
IMG_20240331_093338663.jpg
IMG_20240331_095306090.jpg

They look pretty good, but the fabric can still be dry rotted, so consider them fragile. Slide carefully!

So they covered over the originals? They look to be in nice shape.
Yes, they are nice. I took the ashtray out on the back of the front seat and looked it there. The burlap and springs were like new. The springs are shiny gloss black. It's like getting a new interior! Original to boot!

They look pretty good, but the fabric can still be dry rotted, so consider them fragile. Slide carefully!
Doesn't appear that way. The back seat lower has the foam crumbling so it's a little looser. The seat covers look to have been installed professionally and probably were installed before the foam went bad which means a long time ago. I'm amazed someone spent the $ to have the covers installed way back when to protect them. But thank goodness for this person! He kept the car garaged too.

Doesn't appear that way. The back seat lower has the foam crumbling so it's a little looser. The seat covers look to have been installed professionally and probably were installed before the foam went bad which means a long time ago. I'm amazed someone spent the $ to have the covers installed way back when to protect them. But thank goodness for this person! He kept the car garaged too.
But you're right, I'll slide carefully!

The additional covers might have protected the OEM covers, but they did not keep the foam under them from aging from hot/cold cycles since the car was new.

Accessory seat covers were somewhat common back then, with the fancier ones being the ones from Fingerhut, which were "made to fit" and in clear sheet vinyl or later clear vinyl with an embossed pattern (to be cooler to sit on for extended periods), The intent was to keep the fabrics and vinyls looking "like new" when the car was traded-in and the plastic covers removed. If they were not removed (which few were), the fabric under them could still age and look really nice, but dry-rotted and very fragile.

CBODY67

You can easily add some new foam to the seat bottoms. I had a 4 door sedan in the sixties with that seat pattern. You got a new interior by just removing the old covers, great! The car is shaping up.

Back