Removing the rear defogger motor in 68 300

WissaMan

Reaction score
Northeast PA, 10 minutes from Knoebels Grove
Our 68 300 has the factory rear defogger, which is neat and all, but as some of you probably already know, they weirdly mounted the motor in the passenger-side speaker opening.

I'd like to put a set of 6x9's and a bluetooth head unit in the car so want to move the motor. However, it looks like the motor intake flange is mounted in the speaker opening from above. I don't want to remove the panel over the rear speakers if at all possible to avoid damaging anything. Does anybody know if there's a way to remove the motor assembly from the trunk-side w/o cutting or bending anything?

The rear defog motor does bolt up underneath the rear package tray.
So,you can undo it from the trunk.

But to be honest with you it is easier to work from inside with the rear seat removed.
With a stereo installation you may as well remove the rear seat to thread the wires anyways and make thing neat and tidy
Not wanting to cut anything up,you may have to eliminate the rear defogger altogether.

This pics clearly shows the screws pointing upwards.
hope this helps.
View attachment 382509
BARGE ON A BUDGET 257.jpg

Last edited:
49A9B2F4-C183-43C6-8C40-647DC4610E4F.jpeg

I had the same dilemma on my Monaco. I left the rear window blower where it is and used a single dual voice coil 6x9 in the rear shelf. Wired it up as two separate speakers. Thus maintaining full balance and fader control.
Both, the speaker and fan mounting plate, are screwed from below.

Looking at my rear shelf again. The fan adaptor plate is installed/screwed from above. The speaker from below.

My car is just the opposite.
Will post pics when I get home.
I think they were designed to be installed either way.
AA5580B6-8D26-4D34-BC72-89E463114414.jpeg

This pic taken after rear shelf had been re-installed. The screw heads are visible and the adapter plate is installed from top.
Note the 3” gap between rear shelf on my car.
I had thought of just mounting that plate on the back of the rear seat and let it draw air from were ever so I could use both speaker openings.

Last edited:
Yes, I knew I wasn't going crazy...heheh.

upload_2020-6-16_19-57-49.png

My car is just the opposite.
I had thought of just mounting that plate on the back of the rear seat and let it draw air from were ever so I could use both speaker openings.

That's what my plan was. I mean, what's the difference whether it sucks air from the cabin or trunk. Although I was also thinking of utilizing the rear fan switch as the Power ON for the amp head.

I just cut another 6x9 hole in the middle for the fan and put the speakers outboard.

View attachment 382827

That's what my plan was. I mean, what's the difference whether it sucks air from the cabin or trunk. Although I was also thinking of utilizing the rear fan switch as the Power ON for the amp head.

You may want to consider sucking the air from the cabin versus the trunk, especially if you have air conditioning. I think the air in the cabin will be drier if you have air conditioning, as the cabin will also be warmer also.

The things never really worked that well to begin with.

Yeah, really bummed my Dad out when he ordered the 68 Charger. Picked the 8 track tape with rear speakers and the rear defog. It came with only one 6x9 in the back with the fader switch jumped pushing both channels though it. Had he known he’d omit the rear blower for the second speaker.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's I pulled a rear defogger out of a friends 74 Satellite that was destined for the junk yard, to install in my 68 New Yorker. I distinctly remember that it was not installed in a speaker opening. Rather, it was just mounted against the sheet metal below the rear deck in such a way that there was about a 1/4" ~ 1/2" gap between the fan intake and the sheet metal. When I installed it into the New Yorker I did it the same way. It actually did help to clear the rear window fog -- mainly in the middle where the air flowed, but it was better than nothing.

It's still in the New Yorker so I'll get a pic of it when I can.

I stopped by the building today and took a pick of how I mounted the defogger motor in the New Yorker. That's more-or-less how it was in the 74 Satellite. Maybe it was a dealer installed option on that car. In fact, maybe that's even why some are mounted in the speaker opening from above or below. Maybe if it was above, it was installed at the factory, but when installed below it was dealer installed?

upload_2020-6-18_14-39-17.png

View attachment 382827
Just proves you cannot say never with Ma Mopar,LOL!
Both 68 Chryslers and the rear defogger is mounted differently in both cars!!
So,the difference possibly is "factory" installed down the line as per broadcast sheett versus "dealer" installed??
My 68 Newport rear defogger was dealer installed and not listed on the broadcast sheet,BTW>

So true. In another thread I asked about removing the rear armrests on the 68 300 convertible. Someone posted a picture of theirs and it had nuts holding them on accessible from the back side of the panel. On ours, the pads are screwed down from above which I can only guess means they mounted the support first and then glued the pad onto it.

Back