Replacement period for belts and hoses

spstan

Reaction score
I'm a believer in preventative maintenance. Stopped by mechanic to have him look at crank bolt (cause I'm replacing timing chain). He said belts need replacement (I could see that cause they looked frayed). But how do you know when hoses need replacement before they leak? Do they get stiff? Is there a mileage / time rule for replacement of belts and hoses? Paul

Hoses are bad when you see them dry rotted or swelling around the clamp. Mileage varies on the year make and model. Modern cars are 10 years/100,000 with serpentine belts.

Get a service manual for your car. It will answer many maintenance and care related questions.

In prior times, buying Gates Green-Stripe hoses and belts, they lasted a good while.

How to tell when they need replacement? Belts start to crack on the inside, from flexing. Hoses usually started to seep at the ends, where the fabric reinforcement cords were visible. No "hardness" issues.

I always bought Gates Green-Stripe products. That was their best line back then, when everything they built was at least OEM-level. In more recent times, they have lesser lines of products, so get "the good stuff". NO NOS, NORS, or OEM items!!!!

IF tires start to "age out" at 6-10 years old, you might consider that as a decent gauge for belts and hoses, too. Looking for any date codes on the items purchased. In absence of such date codes, might figure on 4-5 years from time or replacement, as to a guide of sorts.

Seek out molded radiator hoses, when ever possible. Even if you have to wait a bit to get them, so plan ahead. One neat thing I've observed is that C-body radiator hoses are very close, if not the same, as B and E-body items.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

I'm a believer in preventative maintenance. Stopped by mechanic to have him look at crank bolt (cause I'm replacing timing chain). He said belts need replacement (I could see that cause they looked frayed). But how do you know when hoses need replacement before they leak? Do they get stiff? Is there a mileage / time rule for replacement of belts and hoses? Paul
IMHO, if I have to replace either belts or hoses, I replace both. Don't forget the heater hoses!!!

If the belts/hoses have been on more than a couple years, and I change a water pump (for example) I put new belts/hoses on. They are already off, so it's a good opportunity.

The used belts then go into the trunk for spares. I don't carry spare hoses, but that's me.

Buy new and stay away from old stock (like NOS or NORS) because rubber isn't like fine wine... It doesn't get better with age.

the funny part is back when these cars were new it was recommended to change the belts, hoses and antifreeze every year...that was your "winterization " when they put on your snow tires...

Old Rubber is Rotten Rubber, whether it be condoms, belts, hoses or tires. Another item: NEVER STORE RUBBER WHERE ELECTRIC DISCHARGE IS PRESENT!! OZONE KILLS RUBBER! Anything which arcs or sparks generates enough ozone to significantly shorten the life of rubber. Electric motors with brushes really do this number....

Back