Replacing a Subframe 65 Polara 500 Convertible

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and I figured I would tell you my story. So here's my story, About 12 years ago I picked up a 65 Polara 500 Convertible 383 four barrel. It was a barn find and the body was in decent shape and it came with tons of extra parts. The older gentleman that I purchased it from he said that the sub frame is cracked and needs repaired. I bought this car in High School and didn't have the funds then to put towards the car then. So it has been sitting in my parents workshop since then (didn't have time to work on it throughout college). So the funds will start to improve soon so I figured I would ask.

So now that you know my story here is my question. What model year subframes can be used as a replacement for my subframe? Can I use a non convertible? Are all 65/66 C bodies the same?

Thanks

Eric

EVERY:
1965 - 1973 Chrysler Newport, 300, New Yorker
1965 - 1973 Dodge Polara, Monaco
1968(?) - 1973 Plymouth Fury

Keeping it SB to SB or BB to BB makes it a little easier. Leave /6 out of this.

And
welcome7smiley.gif

Speaking only for the 69s to 73's The Fury stub is supposed to be shorter compared to the Chrysler Dodge counterpart

Welcome to the fcbo forums.

This is 3 Polara convertibles now!!

Check out my stub frame project.

I have posted a number of photos

Thanks for all of the responses and the information. Now I just got to find a subframe, anyone have one laying around?

This forum will be a blessing to find information about these wonderful cars.

Mr. Fix it, Your post is the reason why I decided to join the forum. Is yours a 500? Do you know if there are many of those on this forum?

Thanks

Eric

EVERY:

And
welcome7smiley.gif

The jury is still out of 1970-1973 Chrysler hard top and sedan, but definitely the convertibles and wagons. The 1967 fury stub have the same measurements as the 1970 convertibles, so that may be an option too.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

Mr. Fix it, Your post is the reason why I decided to join the forum. Is yours a 500? Do you know if there are many of those on this forum?

Thanks

Eric
I have a 65 Polara 500 convertible, but it's a lingering project - bought it ~12 years ago and haven't touched it yet, (there's too many other messes in front of it). Glad to see another one pop out of the woodwork.
Mike

convertible 002.jpg

The jury is still out of 1970-1973 Chrysler hard top and sedan, but definitely the convertibles and wagons. The 1967 fury stub have the same measurements as the 1970 convertibles, so that may be an option too.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

There were a few guys on the drydock that swear they all interchange

Welcome aboard. Can't remember where but thought I read somewhere that there were significant differences in the first year stub frames? BTW post some pics of your project.

There were a few guys on the drydock that swear they all interchange

I think they may, but not without mods. And even with the mods I see only 8 support bolts as opposed to 10 with the original. Like I said, the jury is still out, but I will eventually get a definitive answer one way or another.

I suspect that all of them can be made to work, but '65s have different motor mounts than the 66 and later cars, so the easiest swap will be any '65 Chrysler or '65 Dodge Monaco or Polara.

Why not just fix the one you have ? BTW, I have been looking for a decent one of those cars for a long time.

EVERY:

And
welcome7smiley.gif

I don't think this is true, I believe there are some length differences mixed in there. I need to dig for the info.

But the fact that there at least two different lengths of torsion bars means that they are not all the same length.

44" bars: Plymouth 1965-73, Dodge 1972-73
47" bars: Plymouth 1974-78, Dodge 1965-71, 1974-78, Chrysler 1965-1978, Imperial 1974-75

Welcome aboard. Can't remember where but thought I read somewhere that there were significant differences in the first year stub frames? BTW post some pics of your project.
1965-1967 (68?) Fury-only stubs were 2" shorter but still interchange with the appropriate change in T-bars.
65 stubs have the PITA engine mounts but still interchange.

Have I ever swapped a stub? No.
Have I ever personally laid eyes on a car with a swapped stub? No.
But I read a book once....

Why not just fix the one you have ? BTW, I have been looking for a decent one of those cars for a long time.

Its basically in two pieces and I think it wouldn't be as safe. I could take it to a frame shop and have them fix it but I would think that it would cost about the same to replace it. Hopefully I can post pictures soon.

Though this is my only project it is not the car that I am currently working on. Currently, I am helping my dad finish his 50 plymouth, so the garage is filled up with his car and parts. Were in the final assembly phases on that car hoping to have it done by then end of august.

Thanks

Eric

I have a 65 Polara 500 convertible, but it's a lingering project - bought it ~12 years ago and haven't touched it yet, (there's too many other messes in front of it). Glad to see another one pop out of the woodwork.
Mike

Mike, How is the interior? It it is decent and all original then could I get some pictures. My car came with two different sets of bucket seats and I don't know which one to put in there.

Thanks

Eric

More information about 65

It didn't occur to me but I was doing some searching on my computer for some pictures that I took of the car and I came across the 1965 Mopar Parts catalogue.

I took some screenshots of the important information.

Frame part numbers.jpgModel Specifications.jpg

As it seems, I can use any Large Chrysler listed above or Dodge.

I don't have any info about 66 or newer.

Thanks

Eric

Model Specifications.jpg

Frame pictures.jpg

Frame part numbers.jpg

Back