Replacing leaf springs

Love Shack

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I brother and I have a 70 Newport convertible that our dad left to us many years ago. The car has been in the family since it was a year old, and has about 41,000 miles.

It was never driven in the winter, seldom in the rain, well just seldom driven, I guess the mileage works out to about 850 miles a year since new, but there were many years it never left the garage.

It still has original paint, top, upholstery, etc., everything but exhaust, belts, hoses, and master cylinder. There is absolutely NO rust. Anywhere.

PICTURES COMING THIS SPRING/SUMMER, I PROMISE !!

SO.. here's the thing. The car came with the standard 4 1/2 leaf suspension, which has given up holding the car up after 48 years, and we are going to replace the leaf springs.

I've contacted many spring suppliers, and they are all offering the 6 or 7 leaf versions, which we are in favor of, but are either of these options going to raise the rear end too high, or will the extra leaves have no noticeable effect on the height of the car? Factory heavy duty suspension had 6 1/2 leaves, and 7 on the Imperial.

I'm thinking we'll be fine with the 7 leaf choice, and not have to worry about it again (I'm 57, my brother 67).
I just don't want to make a mistake and buy too heavy of a spring so it sits high in the back, and we have to fill the trunk with concrete to bring it down.

All comments and suggestions are welcome (ok, most of them).

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Stew Masche
Lake Mills, Wisconsin

Last edited:
More springs do not raise the rear end. Less leaves do not lower it. The amount of leaves has no beaing on ride height.
It does effect the stiffness of the ride, more springs , tighter ride and can handle more weight in the trunk. Less springs = a softer ride.
Stock height is stock height. Even my dad at 77 likes the rake of 1" over stock height that Springs and Things offers.

All of the springs had the same ride height, from std to HD. Difference was in the spring rate and load capacity, with the greater number of leaves offered. Rh and lh springs were usually a little different, leaf numbers wise. Rh got the most, usually, but only like an extra 1/2 leaf to help keep the springs from "winding-up" under severe acceleration.

IF the added number of leaves might increase the rear end height, maybe a 1/2" or so, then you can adjust the front torsion bars "up" to keep everything level.

CBODY67

Call ESPO and tell them you want "stock height" springs. They'll take care of the rest. :thumbsup:
^This^

And get new front spring bushings and be VERY CAREFUL with the rear hangers. Soak them for days... You can't get them new, I don't care who lists them.

A huge THANK YOU to all of you. I've seen Springs and Things mentioned in other posts, and along with all of your endorsements, they also have the best price, and we are going to buy from them.
I'll be sure to soak all the fasteners and carefully loosen them by hand before the serious wrenching starts.
Thanks again for your input, I truly appreciate it!

Stew

Hi there, I´m considering upgrading leaf springs on my 69 Polara convertible in the near future, too. Can you please measure the ride height before and after replacement for reference?

I have 275/60R15 tires in the back and currently the height from the ground up to the wheel opening lip is around 23 and 3/4 inches. Driver side is maybe 3/4 inch higher then passenger side. At the front, with 235/70R15 tires, the ride height is around 26 inches. I know I can lower it a bit with the torsion bars, but never bug me seriously to do so.

But what was the factory ride height, does anyone have a idea?

With the new leaf springs at the rear, I think I can gain some extra height to get rid of occasional bouncing of the exhaust againts the frame or body on the passenger side. I used to have Monroe Max-Air shocks in the rear in past, but they failed in short time, happened twice. So I move to the KYB shocks instead, but can not move the rear up anymore.

Thanks anyone for the input :)

Back