Replacing shocks...any tips?

Okay, finally tore into this project this afternoon. I should have been suspicious, because, with a little bit of MP-50 spray on the upper threads and lower bolt, the hardware came right off. But now I see what the issue to getting the shock out is....I just don't see how to do it without taking things apart. What am I missing here? And yes, I do have the shock fully compressed.
2015-05-16 14.30.09.jpg

2015-05-16 14.30.09.jpg

Did you compress it till it wouldn't go anymore? Now that it's completely loose compress it all the way and it'll slip out
I pushed it up into the tube until it felt like it was compressed all the way. This old shock requires very little effort to compress it. I'll go back and use a little more "horsepower" with the compression.

I used a hammer handle as a little prybar to force it up into the tube and compress it more. It didn't feel like it moved any more at all, but....it did come out after that, shockingly...so to speak. Here's the old white shock, and the replacement I have, which looks like it might be a little bit longer when compressed than the one I took out, which might be a problem. 2015-05-16 14.52.10.jpg

2015-05-16 14.52.10.jpg

That looks normal. Take a few zip ties, and compress the new shock down, tie it up slip it in and bolt the bottom down. Cut the zip tie install the top bushing, and nut. continue to the other side.

I have to work on my new shock compression apparatus. It has to be compressed absolutely to have a chance of going in, and I haven't mastered that technique yet. I tried wire and cable ties. I put the old shock back in since it was easy to do, so I can at least drive it some while I figure out the rest.

I am so spoiled having a lift...
I'm thinking, what's the problem here?
And then it dawned on me...

Get normal shocks and you won't have to bother with the zip ties.
Why make things more complicated.

BTW the white shock looks fatter, maybe why you had a hard time getting it out.
Sometimes when the bright bulb of upgrade goes off, things get complicated.

I'm lucky I have access to a Hoist/Lift 2 poster so thats a bonus, I have just replaced all 4 shocks on my new 72 Newport, the quickest and easiest way I have found was pull the front wheels, grab the pickle fork and split the top ball joint from the spindle and let that lower arm fall as far as possible, and with the shock mostly compressed and zip ties holding it tight the new gas shocks slid right in no issues at all !!! I was amazed after hours battling the first side trying to get the seized trashed original out and giving in and splitting that ball joint it fell out! the second side was done in minutes and waaaaay easier....also the ride height adjuster was not touched at all because the lower arm fell down giving plenty of room to swing a cat!

Back