Rescued Just in Time!

late to party.

this one was called to my attention few months ago. Some folks know I am looking for a 440, 1970, A67 code (regular "T" code engine) Newport. and some members NOT looking for such a car graciously pointed this one out to me.

Its not an A67 car but still nonetheless a scarce rig. pleasantly well equipped too from factory.

I recall the engine already being out of it (apparently not) back around Thansksgiving 2022, plus not quite what I was looking for, and a little tougher to bring back with all the other things I am working on.

Turns out much different and better documented than I understood back then. I should have done more followup anyway. Its in good hands now w @c-barge. good luck with it chief.

Meantime, anyone running across a 1970, A67 code, Newport .. and you don't want it -- shoot me a PM if you dont mind.

Out of curiosity. We’re there ever
any L or U code imperials made?
Dunno but I did get flogged by the mob here in my first week here eight years ago.

Like most things we didn't quite reach a consensus. I could NOT prove I once saw, and tried to buy, a U code, 1972 Imperial back in 1994. I was assured no such animal existed as a factory offering.

I know what I saw but, again, had no proof. What I know about HOW late 1960's early 1970's car plants worked, how OEM's did things "loosely" occasionally in their ordering systems/zone office relationships with dealers, ANYTHING could have got out the "back door".

Me, or anybody, saying that thwy saw a "whatever" without PROOF, is rather empty admittedly. I gave up my fight -- again my exact point was without proof, SO WHY ARGUE. But I know what I saw....

I hope we don't go down the path again to debate this. Some of you here a few years remember Uncle Charlie's Fury - another one NOT supposed to be offerred (true - civi cars not supposed to get hot 440's unless fleet buyer) but here one is .... owned by one of our very own members who graciously shared it with us. WIth a sunrooof no less.

Whole story at link.

Uncle Charlie's Fury

1677623412755.png
1677623421554.png

Last edited:
late to party.

this one was called to my attention few months ago. Some folks know I am looking for a 440, 1970, A67 code (regular "T" code engine) Newport. and some members NOT looking for such a car graciously pointed this one out to me.

Its not an A67 car but still nonetheless a scarce rig. pleasantly well equipped too from factory.

I recall the engine already being out of it (apparently not) back around Thansksgiving 2022, plus not quite what I was looking for, and a little tougher to bring back with all the other things I am working on.

Turns out much different and better documented than I understood back then. I should have done more followup anyway. Its in good hands now w @c-barge. good luck with it chief.

Meantime, anyone running across a 1970, A67 code, Newport .. and you don't want it -- shoot me a PM if you dont mind.
Funny enough it was a mid-late year car so on the final order form they penciled in "375HP" next to the 440 TNT 4bbl so as to not be confused with a regular A67 440 option! Mr. Bredesky (the original owner) wanted the very best Chrysler had to offer for his Newport!

20230228_204202.jpg

C-barge here is one you can rescue that's a little closer to you. Saw this last weekend while visiting family in the area but couldn't stop to check it out. It looks like it hasn't moved in a while because these Google street views are 3 years old.
Screenshot_20230228-122714.png
Screenshot_20230228-123223.png

C-barge here is one you can rescue that's a little closer to you. Saw this last weekend while visiting family in the area but couldn't stop to check it out. It looks like it hasn't moved in a while because these Google street views are 3 years old.View attachment 584680View attachment 584679
Wow I remember that sitting there since highschool. Its only few miles away but I haven't been on Kings Hwy in years. Gonna have to check it out again lol.

Like most things we didn't quite reach a consensus. I could NOT prove I once saw, and tried to buy, a U code, 1972 Imperial back in 1994. I was assured no such animal existed as a factory offering.

I know what I saw but, again, had no proof. What I know about HOW late 1960's early 1970's car plants worked, how OEM's did things "loosely" occasionally in their ordering systems/zone office relationships with dealers, ANYTHING could have got out the "back door".

Me, or anybody, saying that thwy saw a "whatever" without PROOF, is rather empty admittedly. I gave up my fight -- again my exact point was without proof, SO WHY ARGUE. But I know what I saw....
I believed you then and I still do! Many years ago, while working at the local dealership, we found a box of old RD108s in the attic, which included one from the 1967 Coronet 500 convertible Hemi car that had been ordered and sold there, brand new. It was famously known locally, and we found the proof! (The car was long gone). We told the Glorious, Gracious (/s) Galen Govier and of course he didn’t believe a word of it, until we sent hm a photocopy of the form. He was then Gobsmacked! The owner of the dealership remembered it well. He said that he’d had no special connection- he ordered it and they built it.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity. We’re there ever
any L or U code imperials made?

According to the factory-no. The only year for a "muscle" option for the Imperial was 1968-the 440 Dual option. ..but they were K code 440s with the TNT Carter carb, dual exhaust and snorkels, which apparently was good for 360 hp.

Notwithstanding, I do believe that Chrysler did make many one of none cars for those customers like the gent that ordered this Newport Custom and knew his way around the order forms.

My dad had a 71 U Code Town & Country. But when I mention it nobody believes me. The 120 mph blasts down the hwy in that car with my Dad are still fresh in my mind.

He said he optioned it that way for towing.

According to the factory-no. The only year for a "muscle" option for the Imperial was 1968-the 440 Dual option. ..but they were K code 440s with the TNT Carter carb, dual exhaust and snorkels, which apparently was good for 360 hp.

Notwithstanding, I do believe that Chrysler did make many one of none cars for those customers like the gent that ordered this Newport Custom and knew his way around the order forms.

My dad had a 71 U Code Town & Country. But when I mention it nobody believes me. The 120 mph blasts down the hwy in that car with my Dad are still fresh in my mind.

My ‘68 Imp convertible had the “dual-dual” option. Still rated at 350 horsepower. But the dual exhaust had to add a few ponies, I’m sure. The dual-snorkel probably not as much, but it looked cool!

Got a pile of documentation with this car as well including the original window sticker, sales option check list, the original 1970 Iowa title, warranty cards, etc!! Found the obituary to the original owner and turns out he was a thermonuclear engineer for the military through the '50s &'60s!! And was also big into racing thus order this Newport with a lot of good stuff to tow his racecars!!

TNT 440
Tow Package
Sure Grip
A/C
REAR seat heater & defrost
Am/Cassette stereo radio

One expensive Newport when it was new! Hopefully a broadcast sheet or two survived in the car. Looks like the seats never been out of it.

View attachment 584375
What does sales code Y14–Solo Car (Sold Car?) mean? I’ve never seen that before.

What does sales code Y14–Solo Car (Sold Car?) mean? I’ve never seen that before.
“Sold Car” means ordered for a particular customer, how they want it built, versus a “sales bank” car (one that Chrysler makes the order and ships it to the dealer- they have no say in how it’s equipped and each dealer has a certain quota of those (for example, all sales bank Superbirds were yellow)), or a dealer-ordered car (usually ordered by the sales manager) to have on the lot, for sale.

Kinda figured it was towing rig.
But what a door slammer!
She sure can be 1 of 1 the way she was ordered.
Having all the documentation is huge.
If it were me, the only way to do this car is....right.

Pulled the back seat out of the car to clean the junk off the floors. There was one broadcast sheet in the upper half but not much of it survived sadly..

image000000(3).jpg

So out of curiosity I grabbed a mirror and shoved it under the front seat. JACKPOT! Gonna wait till I have a free day to pull the seat before attempting to remove it from the springs.

20230326_190302.jpg

Got a pile of documentation with this car as well including the original window sticker, sales option check list, the original 1970 Iowa title, warranty cards, etc!! Found the obituary to the original owner and turns out he was a thermonuclear engineer for the military through the '50s &'60s!! And was also big into racing thus order this Newport with a lot of good stuff to tow his racecars!!

TNT 440
Tow Package
Sure Grip
A/C
REAR seat heater & defrost
Am/Cassette stereo radio

One expensive Newport when it was new! Hopefully a broadcast sheet or two survived in the car. Looks like the seats never been out of it.

View attachment 584375

I would’ve loved to have the window sticker from my T&C. (However, I spent decades thinking, “I’d love to have a T&C,” so I can’t complain.) I haven’t looked for the broadcast sheet yet, but I have found small trivial things from “back in the day” that I’ve saved.

My Grandfather ordered an F8 Jade Green '69 Newport Custom with the A34 tow package and L Code 440 in fall of '68 From Mills and Hadwin in Toronto, many have said it didn't exist, but recently Nigel at National Moparts corroborated that he had picked parts off an identical car that was in Standard Auto Wreckers in Scarborough Ontario in the Early 80's, my grandfather traded the Newport in on a Cordoba in 1976.

Nigel is trying to find the Fender Tag for me.

Nick

My Grandfather ordered an F8 Jade Green '69 Newport Custom with the A34 tow package and L Code 440 in fall of '68 From Mills and Hadwin in Toronto, many have said it didn't exist, but recently Nigel at National Moparts corroborated that he had picked parts off an identical car that was in Standard Auto Wreckers in Scarborough Ontario in the Early 80's, my grandfather traded the Newport in on a Cordoba in 1976.

Nigel is trying to find the Fender Tag for me.

Nick
That’d be a sad discovery, if the salvage car was your grandfather’s.

That’d be a sad discovery, if the salvage car was your grandfather’s.
Sad in a way, I'd be happy to just have the tag, he parted ways with it in '76, and he departed from this world in '03, I didn't get my first C body till '12 and it happened to be an F8 green Plymouth sold at Mills and Hadwin fall of '68..

World works in mysterious ways.

Back