Restoration of the Butch Leal B/MP Hemi Duster

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG
1975 Pro Stock & Super Stock veteran raced this Duster fitted with a Hemi Engine in the sportman class B/MP (modified production class B) The car originally was raced with steel body parts to be legal for the class. Later years the car was updated with fiberglass. The car came up for sale earlier this year on E Bay. MOPAR Missile Duster owners John & Denny Laube won the bidding for the car. John sent me an e mail that the car was going to be restored to it original condition with all steel body. And said the fiberglass parts would be for sale. So I bought the passenger door & mounted it on my wall. The restoration on the car has begun. Here are some pics

Last edited:
img_4456-jpg.105223

So, I'm confused. The car looked like this when they started? Seems to me like they are doing away with the car's history by repainting it. Why not just paint the new steel panels to match?

img_4456-jpg.105223

So, I'm confused. The car looked like this when they started? Seems to me like they are doing away with the car's history by repainting it. Why not just paint the new steel panels to match?
Well the car had been updated over the years. Modifications done. It did look quite good when they got it. Things like fuel cell, plumbing, wiring, brakes, electronics, belts, suspension & many other things had been update to remain current with the rules. They are doing it right.

img_4456-jpg.105223

Also Butch sold the car after a few years. So the car they bought off EBay was the way someone else had raced it not Butch. They want to return it the way it was when Butch first raced it when the car was new. Hemi engines didn't come in Dusters. This car was a race car from the start. With full Chrysler backing. Remember this is a 75. It's time for a repaint. Everything was being replaced except the roof & quarters & tail panel

It amazes me how little was done to the car's unibody short of the cage, tubs, 4 link brackets it looks fairly stock. Just looked again I guess those brackets are for the leaf springs that were moved inboard.

It amazes me how little was done to the car's unibody short of the cage, tubs, 4 link brackets it looks fairly stock. Just looked again I guess those brackets are for the leaf springs that were moved inboard.
I think it has subframe connectors. The rules where a bit tighter on MP

I'm surprised they let the run the Hemi

img_4456-jpg.105223

This car had been repainted at least once in the last 40 years so we are not loosing any of the original paint and when it's done it will be perfect.

This was a Ron Butler built car. Over the last 40 years it was raced in Super Pro, most recently with a 440 and a powerglide. A fuel cell was added, coil over shocks replaced the leaf springs, the cage gained a forward halo hoop, a bar under the dash and lower bars in the door openings, the entire front inner fender/core support structure had been removed. All of the above has been reversed to the original configuration.

We purchased a perfect and completely rust free 75 Duster in Texas and it donated all of the sheetmetal except the front portion of the floor where an AMD panel was used. Surprisingly the original leaf spring mountings on the frame and rear end as well as the original ladder bar mounts were all still intact. The spare tire well that had been cut out for the fuel cell was replaced and a new stock gas tank will be employed.

As you can see, the extent of disassembly was to the extreme in order to turn back the clock.

Leal%20062916%20069_zps1u2w12lh.jpg

Leal%20062916%20070_zpsgdttzzom.jpg

Leal%20062916%20064_zpsqgpdi0y4.jpg

Leal%20062916%20065_zpsvxna51jr.jpg

Leal%20062916%20066_zpsay7pjzvs.jpg

Back