Restoring paint

I'm done arguing...

I'm out.[/QUOTE]

Sorry John. I didn't know we were "arguing". I thought we were having a discussion. No one suggested a wrong way to go about it here. If I were the OP I would be trying all the options here.

Sorry John. I didn't know we were "arguing". I thought we were having a discussion. No one suggested a wrong way to go about it here. If I were the OP I would be trying all the options here.
You're right... Sorry, didn't quite mean it like that... I think we all want to see him do what's best.

You’re both right. I am going to experiment w/Bluefury361’s advice on the Dodge PU and see how that goes and intend to start out with the clay on the Plymouth. I’ve got plenty of time to see what works. It’s not like I’m going anywhere soon...
I do have a question for Bluefury361- what did you use to apply that Comet cleanser with?

[QUOTE="Bourbon,
I do have a question for Bluefury361- what did you use to apply that Comet cleanser with?[/QUOTE]

I wet the surface, sprinkled the comet powder on and used a soft bristled scrub brush followed by a wet, old cotton towel, then a rinse.
The amount of oxidation will determine the amount of scrubbing required.
I used the comet designed for kitchen/bathroom counters.

Best to avoid scrubbing directly over cowl vents and hood/door/trunk edges. It will make cleanup easier.

I did the comet wash to my ‘72 Dodge pickup. The paint is original, very thin and very oxidized. After the comet I used Meguiar’s Polish by hand, then waxed it w/Meguiar’s Gold. Not a huge, but definitely a noticeable difference/improvement. I don’t think much more could be done with this paint. It was a ranch truck in MT and I doubt it was ever washed, let alone waxed!
The VIP has much better paint and I feel the same procedure (maybe substituting the Comet with the clay bar) will yield better results.
Note- I did nothing except Comet the drivers door. The front fender was cleaned, polished and waxed. Contrast.
7D38B2B0-8BDE-4CCC-9ED1-E87B5E092201.jpeg

CC6D5D49-4611-4DFB-8720-7DC668DDF6A0.jpeg

I did the comet wash to my ‘72 Dodge pickup. The paint is original, very thin and very oxidized. After the comet I used Meguiar’s Polish by hand, then waxed it w/Meguiar’s Gold. Not a huge, but definitely a noticeable difference/improvement. I don’t think much more could be done with this paint. It was a ranch truck in MT and I doubt it was ever washed, let alone waxed!
The VIP has much better paint and I feel the same procedure (maybe substituting the Comet with the clay bar) will yield better results.
Note- I did nothing except Comet the drivers door. The front fender was cleaned, polished and waxed. Contrast.
View attachment 384182

View attachment 384183
You might want to try the clay bar on a section?

I wondered about that. I figured the Comet (I used a scotch brite pad to apply it) would do basically the same thing...

I wondered about that. I figured the Comet (I used a scotch brite pad to apply it) would do basically the same thing...

Comet is an mildly abrasive cleaner and Scotchbrite is basically sandpaper.

Claybay isn't abrasive. It cleans the surface by pulling the dirt out.

OK-Thanks to everyone who weighed in w advice on my precious Plymouth. I started out with the clay bar- good advice! I couldn’t believe how much ick was on/in the paint on this car. Using the ziplock bag on the surface before & after showed me the difference! Following that, I used the DA and Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound and the orange foam pad. I will wax it tomorrow w Meguiar’s Gold. Really pleased with the results. Virtually all the shadows and weird streaks/spots were removed. Plenty of dark turquoise paint removed on the pad as well!
I’ll get outside tomorrow and get some final pics once she’s all done. For 53yr old paint, it looks damn good-despite the factory orange peel!

8113DD0F-263A-4E89-9581-8FA63736132F.jpeg

696DBA18-B0AF-426A-A511-ACBB5587900F.jpeg

5D96E9B3-3F17-419C-9BBB-14B7C9E58315.jpeg

Very nice work. Oddly, I worked on my car today and I tried a trick I saw on AutoGeek using Meguiars No. 7 Showcar glaze.

Before I get started, same as always I do not benefit for mentioning any specific products, I just want to put the info out there in case it helps someone else.

Here is a link that explains how to use the Meguiars #7 Showcar glaze with some sample before and after pics. Link: Newbie single stage paint restoration
I did the same thing today to a fender and door and it definitely helps. The main detail is you really need to put it on really heavy! Then, you want to leave it on for a good while. I believe the video may mention leaving it on for 24 hours inside your garage.
The reason for leaving it on is for the oils in the glaze to literally soak into the paint. You will go through a lot of product so be ready.
If you do have single stage paint though it his definitely worth trying and remember to slop that stuff on wet and heavy! Also, have plenty of towels.

You can find several articles online that mention using the Meguiar's #7 Showcar glaze using this method. I hope this may help someone bring there paint back.

Very nice work. Oddly, I worked on my car today and I tried a trick I saw on AutoGeek using Meguiars No. 7 Showcar glaze.

Before I get started, same as always I do not benefit for mentioning any specific products, I just want to put the info out there in case it helps someone else.

Here is a link that explains how to use the Meguiars #7 Showcar glaze with some sample before and after pics. Link: Newbie single stage paint restoration
I did the same thing today to a fender and door and it definitely helps. The main detail is you really need to put it on really heavy! Then, you want to leave it on for a good while. I believe the video may mention leaving it on for 24 hours inside your garage.
The reason for leaving it on is for the oils in the glaze to literally soak into the paint. You will go through a lot of product so be ready.
If you do have single stage paint though it his definitely worth trying and remember to slop that stuff on wet and heavy! Also, have plenty of towels.

You can find several articles online that mention using the Meguiar's #7 Showcar glaze using this method. I hope this may help someone bring there paint back.
I will be checking that out- thanks!

I have a group of guys that do my paint corrections on cars. No doubt if you go that route, you need to know their experience as all paints are not equal. Each car is different. I have several original paint cars, as old as 57, that I've had them do. Always been happy as the goal is to preserve and protect as much as possible. You can generally look for Cquartz dealers in your area. They're limited and generally higher end shops. I'd start there as far as talking to experts if you go that route. I have every car protect with a coating of some sort at this point.

As promised-the end result. Lots of time and elbow grease but I’m as happy as can be with how she looks. I dare say she looks better than the day she rolled off the lot!

DF84ECF8-E1AE-4FB2-94DE-A7142B013124.jpeg

85DB56B1-348E-4A6A-BAB4-70BE84CEB065.jpeg

81B474AA-E7C6-4097-B28C-6DF74F39BBA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back