Resurrection of my 1970 Chrysler 300 Convertible

long hard road. If you want one thats 90% done, I have a 70 convert for sale

There have been many times during this process where I thought about abandoning the build and finding one done or at least in driver condition. The closest I came was seeing the EB7 blue, white interior 'vert in Maryland last year, but fortunately for my wife and my sanity @ayilar scooped it up and is bringing it back to beautiful condition. I still need some reference shots that I hope to get this year at Carlisle.

I will be starting my 12th season, which is a looong time to be fooling with a car that I only wanted to make a driver to begin with, but at this point I am way too far into it to ever just abandon it for something else. Besides the work, there are many emotional ties to this build which keeps pushing me to the finish line, one of which is that my best friend gave me the car and 90% of the parts. Another is all of the good friends I've made here, most of whom I've met in person at Carlisle. It may not turn out to be a #1 car, but it will be what I want, and as it stands, I will have touched and tuned every nut and bolt, save for the inner workings of the transmission. It's been a long, but good road, and I've learned a lot, and more importantly, had a blast doing it.

This is the Opus Magnum of my car hobby career that started at age 17 with my first Challenger 'vert in the summer of 1980, I will not do another. My only hope is that I've encouraged, entertained and informed others about these cars, and that the enthusiasm will be passed down to another generation. I already see that in my son who will take on the rebuild of the TX9 Parts Car. I would like to start a thread on that rebuild, but as a spectator and advisor.

That 's not to say I don't want to see what you have! Ideally, start a thread with lots of pictures, everyone loves C Body ****......

:)

There have been many times during this process where I thought about abandoning the build and finding one done or at least in driver condition. The closest I came was seeing the EB7 blue, white interior 'vert in Maryland last year, but fortunately for my wife and my sanity @ayilar scooped it up and is bringing it back to beautiful condition. I still need some reference shots that I hope to get this year at Carlisle.

I will be starting my 12th season, which is a looong time to be fooling with a car that I only wanted to make a driver to begin with, but at this point I am way too far into it to ever just abandon it for something else. Besides the work, there are many emotional ties to this build which keeps pushing me to the finish line, one of which is that my best friend gave me the car and 90% of the parts. Another is all of the good friends I've made here, most of whom I've met in person at Carlisle. It may not turn out to be a #1 car, but it will be what I want, and as it stands, I will have touched and tuned every nut and bolt, save for the inner workings of the transmission. It's been a long, but good road, and I've learned a lot, and more importantly, had a blast doing it.

This is the Opus Magnum of my car hobby career that started at age 17 with my first Challenger 'vert in the summer of 1980, I will not do another. My only hope is that I've encouraged, entertained and informed others about these cars, and that the enthusiasm will be passed down to another generation. I already see that in my son who will take on the rebuild of the TX9 Parts Car. I would like to start a thread on that rebuild, but as a spectator and advisor.

That 's not to say I don't want to see what you have! Ideally, start a thread with lots of pictures, everyone loves C Body ****......

:)

James: What you have said here is so true as to the motivations of the average gearhead - especially me. I am six years into my '66 300 convertible project, and I feel the same as you about my own friggin' POS. . .

This is a fun thread to sit back and watch. It’s gonna be great once you’re done. Your post makes me smile because my Fury is in the exact shape rear quarters and dutchman-wise. I love the fact that some poor soul is going to fix it all one day AND that that poor soul isn’t going to be me. All I’m going to do is enjoy it for the crusty beater it is. I applaud your efforts and salute you sir!

Wow, I'm soo happy I'm done with all this nasty metal work stuff on my project!
Good to see you making progress on you vert! Keep up the good work! :)

Well, here goes nothing…..

16DD135D-B709-4FB2-A3EA-425485E81C60.jpeg

4A94A7FA-77DA-4C6A-8161-FF75233CDE93.jpeg

Have been following this thread for some time. Thanks for the photos from posts 499 to 505. Your craftsmanship shows and repairing and reconstructing both the Dutchman and the drain channels for our convertible tops. The way you approach doing the repair process my hats off to you. Nice work very well done.

Have been following this thread for some time. Thanks for the photos from posts 499 to 505. Your craftsmanship shows and repairing and reconstructing both the Dutchman and the drain channels for our convertible tops. The way you approach doing the repair process my hats off to you. Nice work very well done.
Thank you David, I appreciate that. Most of the time I feel like I’m learning as I go. I was particularly concerned with this part of the repair, it seems to have worked out nicely, but it does help to have solid parts.

What kinda soap didja use?
Cascade to start, then a post dishwasher scrubbing with Dawn. They were so dirty I didn’t even realize some of the rears were blue, must have come from the same ‘69 parts car as my motor. The only front belts I have are blue as well, slightly different than the ‘70, but close enough. I’m going to try my hand at dyeing them black. I think they came out better than expected. Next, I will soak the brightwork in Evapo Rust and re-paint the latches.

C1312EC0-9BAC-4405-A291-57B032756A6B.jpeg

46D23A4D-7D0C-4EC2-A549-0844F82C4492.jpeg

Last edited:
The retractor covers are in great condition as are the belts. They must have stayed clean from being retracted all these years. In taking off the old carpet I noticed an additional opening, I’m guessing for use in a different model.

159C1FE9-D461-4685-907D-704728AE3DB4.jpeg

Cascade to start, then a post dishwasher scrubbing with Dawn. They were so dirty I didn’t even realize some of the rears were blue, must have come from the same ‘69 parts car as my motor. The only front belts I have are blue as well, slightly different than the ‘70, but close enough. I’m going to try my hand at dyeing them black. I think they came out better than expected. Next, I will soak the brightwork in Evapo Rust and re-paint the latches.

View attachment 517579

View attachment 517582
I've washed mine in the washing mashine, came out perfectly clean and they smell good! ;)

I've bought a bunch of these washing bags for lingerie. One for each belt. Worked great!

Seat Belts 49.JPG

Everything I've read about dyeing seat belts says that it's a bad idea.

The dye never really bonds with the nylon belts and it comes off on people's clothing.
I‘ve been reading about acid dye for nylon, which is basically adding a cup of white vinegar to the mix. I would prefer finding a decent set in black of 1970 belts with the correct buckles, but the combination of a buddy seat and convertible is very tough to find.

I’m wondering through, are the belts and standard buckles the same across body lines? I see a lot of ads for E and B body belts, but they look the same as C body belts. other than length, I’m guessing they would work.

I’d also love to find the factory shoulder belts. I know they are goofy and 8 foot long and impossible to find, it would like to have them anyway.

I've washed mine in the washing mashine, came out perfectly clean and they smell good! ;)

I've bought a bunch of these washing bags for lingerie. One for each belt. Worked great!

View attachment 517594
I thought about the washing machine, but the dishwasher was already empty and all that clanging in the tumbler would drive everyone in the house crazy, LOL.

I‘ve been reading about acid dye for nylon, which is basically adding a cup of white vinegar to the mix. I would prefer finding a decent set in black of 1970 belts with the correct buckles, but the combination of a buddy seat and convertible is very tough to find.

I’m wondering through, are the belts and standard buckles the same across body lines? I see a lot of ads for E and B body belts, but they look the same as C body belts. other than length, I’m guessing they would work.

I’d also love to find the factory shoulder belts. I know they are goofy and 8 foot long and impossible to find, it would like to have them anyway.
From what I've been able to figure out, there's two styles of buckles. The push button "Deluxe" buckles were optional.

My car has the Deluxe belts. The plastic does tend to crack and one of these days, I have two in the back that need replacing.

The '70 Deluxe seems to be one year, but does share the same buckle with the other models, and they seem to be desirable for the E Body crowd (read expensive). The later models have a different but similar style with the push button. They were standard in later years (72? up).

The thing to do is have the belts remade to what you want.

1645986892028.png

1645987602747.png

I can grab you a picture and length of my 70 E body belts when I get home. I did dye them and it worked okay. There is no way to through them in the dryer to "set"the color with heat. I think they did rub off onto clothes for a time. I'm such a non fashion guru that it was not a problem for me. They are fine years later.

Back