Resurrection of my 1970 Chrysler 300 Convertible

Mine in 74

8114.jpeg

I have just read your entire thread on your 300 restoration project. Very educational, entertaining and inspirational. Impressive perseverance! It makes the past year restoration of my rust free project 1970 Imperial LeBaron 2 d ht seem like a walk in the park in comparison. (See the Showcase section). I am looking forward to seeing your restoration being completed.
I have enclosed pictures of my survivor 69 and 70 300 convertibles.

View attachment 586517

View attachment 586518
Wow, those are beautiful! you should check out our informal registry on fuselage convertibles. We’d love to see more pics:
Lets Play A Game: Last Of The Convertibles

Thanks for the compliment on my build. It’s been taking a long time (13 years!) but I feel I’m finally getting to a point where I might be able to drive it on a regular basis. The final electrical and the interior work is proving to be a challenge, but I think I’m almost there.

(…) Impressive perseverance! It makes the past year restoration of my rust free project 1970 Imperial LeBaron 2 d ht seem like a walk in the park in comparison. (See the Showcase section). (…)
I have enclosed pictures of my survivor 69 and 70 300 convertibles.

View attachment 586518
@Samplingman is an inspiration to us all!

I very much enjoyed the eye candy in your Showcase of the 2dr 1970 Imperial.

—> here, I will second @Samplingman ’s invitation for you to post more photos of your 1970 300 ´vert (including its fender tag please!), and write about the car’s history, in the thread to which he linked that now acts as the informal repository of the last C body convertibles.

Thanks you both for the nice comments.

Here is some additional information, as well as more pictures of both cars.

1969 Chrysler 300 convertible:

I am the third owner of this car. The first owner kept it for 50 years! It has extensive documentation, including the original new car invoice, partial Broadcast sheet, Window Sticker, Warranty booklet, Owners Manual, annual registrations and five decades of service records. The car has its original interior, chrome etc. It has had one repaint and one new top. Otherwise it is a survivor. It has 59,000 miles. The car is E7 Dark Briar metallic with black interior and black top. It has 23 extra cost options, including the TNT engine, AC, floor shift, and power everything etc. The tach on the console, and the 8 track player under the dash, were installed when the car was new in 1969. As part of the car's history I have left it in place.

1970 Chrysler 300 convertible:

Sold new here in Georgia. I am the second owner. The first owner kept it for 46 years. It is well documented with the original new car invoice, new car warranty folder, Owner's Manual, past registrations, and service records. The car is presently located in my native Norway. It has been cosmetically restored with a repaint, new top, and some interior work. The interior has been changed from black/white to black by the first owner. Otherwise it is original. The car has 62,000 miles. It is DR8 Burgundy Metallic with (now) black interior and a white top. It has 20 extra cost options, including the TNT engine, AC, 6 ways power seat etc.

The 8 pictures are showing the 1969 model. 6 pictures showing the 1970 model will be posted separately.

IMG_3306.jpeg

IMG_3308.jpeg

IMG_3309.jpeg

IMG_1725.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

IMG_3314.jpeg

IMG_3313.jpeg

IMG_3320.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting about CM27L9C227754 and CM27U0C191707 — somebody likes burgundy & TNT engines!

I am the second owner of an EB7 1970 300 TNT ´vert that @david hill (who owns a W1 300 TNT ´vert) helped me restore after I bought it a couple of years ago from the original owner.

I have been tracking survivors of the 120 or so ‘70 U-code 300 ragtops built for US and Canada. CM27U0C191707 is #26 in my list, which includes two parts cars @marko in BC owns one of them that’s also a DR8; the second DR8 in my list is in Finland now — @saforwardlook in CA used to own it

@c-barge @boostedvan @70 Droptop @Fury Pursuit @dh23t @Chopperdriver @Michele 300 Mopar @GT dave are some of the owners on the board

Thank you for the very interesting 1970 300 conv U code TNT statistics, and for keeping track of these cars. Are there any production records available, or is the 11% share of the total 1970 300 conv production (120/1,077) a guesstimate? A similar percentage applied to the 1969 300 conv model would indicate a L code TNT number of cars at around 214 (214/1,933).

Are there any production records available, or is the 11% share of the total 1970 300 conv production (120/1,077) a guesstimate?
Yes to both. Except I made a typo. The nbr is 135 (not 120). No idea why I typed 120. 135 is an estimate not a guesstimate and is very, very close to the actual nbr AFAIK.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine has owned a 1970 300 convertible since the 1990’s
Back when I first read that thread, I did not pay attention to this little tidbit. Can you tell us more about that other 'vert? I am not sure if the tag has been seen. Maybe, if your friend is a member, you could link to his thread about the car -- or ask him if you could post the tag in the registry?

That one is lost to history. He sold it about 10 years ago to get the gold one from Canada (that tag was posted awhile ago before he owned it). Here is the last picture I have of the burgundy vert. This was back then I wasn’t thinking about tags so I didn’t get a pic.

DSC04900-1312104570-3019790.jpeg

That one is lost to history. He sold it about 10 years ago to get the gold one from Canada (that tag was posted awhile ago before he owned it). Here is the last picture I have of the burgundy vert. This was back then I wasn’t thinking about tags so I didn’t get a pic.

View attachment 598559
Wow... I don't know as I've seen that color combo in a 70 300 'vert.

That must have been really nice when new.

EDIT: Geez... just looked up a couple posts.... So I guess I have seen one. LOL

if you look in the background, that’s us standing in what is now my project. The stripped out one next to it was the ‘69 that gave up its driveline for mine, another tag I wish I’d had saved.

Here is a pic of it when I first drove the burgundy one in the 1990’s. I thought it was a Fury back then, lol.

IMG_3443.jpeg
IMG_3442.jpeg

That one is lost to history. He sold it about 10 years ago to get the gold one from Canada (that tag was posted awhile ago before he owned it).
So it’s not lost. He must have records of the VIN at the very least. Also, he must know whom he sold it to. So it’s a question of sharing and researching :)

Wow... I don't know as I've seen that color combo in a 70 300 'vert.

That must have been really nice when new.

EDIT: Geez... just looked up a couple posts.... So I guess I have seen one. LOL
Looks like my original 69 i lost when i shipped overseas

Wow, I’m flattered that this thread has been graced by not one, but two ‘70 vert TNT cars. Now that @ayilar car is officially off the market, looks like I have to get back to work on getting mine done.

First things first, we have to shuffle the boats into position. We have been working on the TX9 and soon will get its own thread.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_8960.jpeg
IMG_8962.jpeg
IMG_8961.jpeg

Over the winter I have been getting the interior cleaned up. These are the seats I picked up from @Dutchrebuild almost 10 years ago. I plan on eventually having everything redone including foams and covers, but these are in fine shape right now. A recent check with Legendary shows a complete set of just the covers are somewhere north of $2500, and I’d still need the foams!

I broke everything down for cleaning. The transmissions were all packed with fresh grease and moved freely, but the tracks were in bad shape.

IMG_8272.jpeg
IMG_8456.jpeg
IMG_8460.jpeg
IMG_8461.jpeg
IMG_8463.jpeg
IMG_8465.jpeg
IMG_8467.jpeg
IMG_8470.jpeg
IMG_8473.jpeg

Last edited:
Everything was coated in rust remover, wire brushed and painted up. Re-assembly was straight forward, but it really helps to have another seat to compare. I also welded in new stainless seat studs, the old ones just snapped off.
IMG_8477.jpeg
IMG_8505.jpeg
IMG_8506.jpeg

IMG_8507.jpeg

IMG_8765.jpeg

Back