Retro Radio question

mgm1986

Reaction score
I want to upgrade the radio with new guts and keep the stock look. I have two radios, the original 1968 AM radio that came stock with the car and a 1967 AM/FM radio from my parts car. My initial thought is to have the AM/FM radio converted as I would think that extra switch gives me more functionality.

Does anybody with experience in the retro radio fit have any thoughts or suggestions?

I just found this out a week or so ago...

There's two conversion "kits" that are being used. The Aurora brand seems to be the best one from what I've read and from talking to a guy that does conversions.

Talk to this guy. http://www.garytayman.com/

BTW, my 300 has a conversion radio in it and it's pretty good. Get the pre-amp outputs, it's money well spent.

I just found this out a week or so ago...

There's two conversion "kits" that are being used. The Aurora brand seems to be the best one from what I've read and from talking to a guy that does conversions.

Talk to this guy. http://www.garytayman.com/

Thank you, I will reach out and ask his opinion. I am convinced this is the approach I want to take, ideally with Bluetooth, line in and preamp outs. I just don't know if there is a benefit to using an AM/FM radio over just AM.

I had this one done for my Imp last year but its not installed yet. I did hear the same unit installed in another car and it sounded fantastic.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I spoke to Gary Tayman (Thanks, Big John! http://www.garytayman.com/) and my radio is on it's way to him for a rebuild which will include Bluetooth and line out. Super Excited! I also ordered a dual voice coil 4x10 and 6x9 per his recommendation. He did say he was very backed up though so it may take several weeks for turnaround. Fingers crossed it is sooner than later cause I really don't want to reinstall the dash just to remove it again when I get the radio back.

I will post an update once I get it installed. It was a little pricier than I wanted to spend so I hope the results are as promising as they "sound"! (I love a bad pun) :)

The place in Wisconsin has had my radio since Christmas. It's a good thing I'm not ready for it...

The total is $596.

$385 for the FMR-1 conversion
$180 for bluetooth
$15 for line outputs
$16 for return shipping

Scroll to the bottom of his page for pricing details which may vary if your radio is older or not domestic: http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm

Since you are in Florida I think you will pay State Tax. But you could save shipping costs and drive to/from, looks like you are just 3 hours across the state from Tayman!

I got a rough estimate of 3-4 weeks for turnaround from Gary. In the meantime I ordered and received replacement 4x10 and 6x9 speakers so I will get those installed while the dash is apart.

Got my radio back from Gary Tayman today and man he did a great job. It looks like new and I am just dying to get it installed! Will post an update once I get it in and give it a listen cause in reality, it can look great, it needs to sound great.

IMG_1900.jpgIMG_1898.jpgIMG_1896.jpgIMG_1895.jpgIMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

If anyone is interested in having Tayman do their radio PM me your address and I can mail you a coupon for $20 off, expires December 1st, 2014. TaymanElectrical.com

What type of outputs are those, RCA? Mine has 5 outputs, R&L front, R&L rear & sub.

It looks like all of them are standard headphone size plugs like you would have on an iPhone or MP3 player. I think 3.5mm.

While the radio was out being restored I mounted my speakers and ran my speaker wire. Then I realized after buttoning everything up that I need 2 speaker wires for the one rear speaker because I installed the dual voice coil speaker. I can be such a dunce.

I called Gary to confirm my suspicions.

P.B. = Push Button, optional button to turn on Bluetooth pairing or skip tracks. Outdated and no longer necessary. The latest FMR-1 software allows all of this be done from the existing radio controls.
MIC = External microphone for hands free calling, optional. Package comes with the mic so I will install and hide it somewhere
AUX = Auxiliary input for devices without Bluetooth

Outputs (Front, Rear, Sub) = External amplifier outputs for front channel, rear channel and a sub-woofer.

Back