Rip's New '73 Navajo

Hi Big John. Need advice.
If they're going to bust the rear shackles, how do I get them off without busting them to put them on the new springs? Thanks, Ben
Get yourself a nut splitter and crack the nut in half.

71AaQVLQtLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I know this car! This car was talked about on this forum a while back and for a very short period of time I owned it. It came to NJ originally from Minnesota or Wisconsin. My friend Scot B who was a member found it listed on a Craigslist Ad that was talked about here somewhere around 2014-2015. He bought it for $5200 and had it shipped to NJ then I took it off his hands at his due to sudden financial hardship he had. I had the radiator rebuilt and installed a new water pump and fan clutch. I didn't have the room to properly store the car for the winter so I then sold it to a guy named Dennis out of Florida for $6200 (he put the mag wheels on and filled some minor lower body holes). He had it listed for $8500 on Ebay and it then went to someone in New York (I assume the guy you bought it from. I wish I could have kept this ride.

I have been meaning to thank you for this valuable maintenance history. It is really helpful. Do you remember whetehr the car had dual exhaust on it when you had it? I think the guy I bought it from had the duals installed, but I'm not sure. Thanks again for the info. Rip

All the other ways, heat (personal fav for most things) and penetrating oil (your choice PB Blaster, ATF/acetone) is all great, but splitting the nut makes sure you don't twist the end off. You can easily make an otherwise good shackle bad by breaking the end off.

I've only used WD40 but the guys here have their own juices of preference.
I've broken a few sets but even soaking the bolts can easily snap.

Yes. I finally found a pair of Gabriel gas shocks at Summit Racing. They are installed and seem to be fine.
Hi Rip
What part Gabriel Part# did you use?
Are you still satisfied with ride quality or did they get sloppy/loose?
I have a 1972 Plymouth Fury. I bought some old NOS Monroe's off ebay, but would like to do something else. You are right about 25" clearance. I measured approx 25.40". I bought a 1988 KYB paper catalog off ebay. KG5512 fits all c-body Dodge, which is why they work for Michel. However, KG5513 is listed for your 1973 Navajo Newport and my 72 Fury. KG5513 is a discontinued part#. Unfortunately, the tables at the rear did not give extended and collapsed length on the (New Part# for 1988) KG Shock line. I think Chrysler altered the rear subframe for Chrysler 1970-1973 and Plymouth full size 1971-1973, but left Dodge alone. Not sure if Bilstein has an application for 71-73 Chrysler/Plymouth full size and at $240 per pair, expensive.
For anyone who is interested these are blowups of the pages from the 1988 catalog. The cut off columns are for struts and cartridges, inapplicable.
Newport & NY.jpg

Fury.jpg

Polara & Monaco.jpg

Hi Rip
What part Gabriel Part# did you use?
Are you still satisfied with ride quality or did they get sloppy/loose?
I have a 1972 Plymouth Fury. I bought some old NOS Monroe's off ebay, but would like to do something else. You are right about 25" clearance. I measured approx 25.40". I bought a 1988 KYB paper catalog off ebay. KG5512 fits all c-body Dodge, which is why they work for Michel. However, KG5513 is listed for your 1973 Navajo Newport and my 72 Fury. KG5513 is a discontinued part#. Unfortunately, the tables at the rear did not give extended and collapsed length on the (New Part# for 1988) KG Shock line. I think Chrysler altered the rear subframe for Chrysler 1970-1973 and Plymouth full size 1971-1973, but left Dodge alone. Not sure if Bilstein has an application for 71-73 Chrysler/Plymouth full size and at $240 per pair, expensive.
For anyone who is interested these are blowups of the pages from the 1988 catalog. The cut off columns are for struts and cartridges, inapplicable.
View attachment 407276
View attachment 407277
View attachment 407278

Hey! Thanks a lot for digging up all that info. Very illuminating. . .

Here is the info regarding the Gabriel rear shocks I finally purchased for my '73 Navajo:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/GAB-81091

I think Chrysler altered the rear subframe for Chrysler 1970-1973 and Plymouth full size 1971-1973, but left Dodge alone.
Hey! Thanks a lot for digging up all that info. Very illuminating

X2. That is very helpful info -- first time I have seen it mentioned on this board.

Hi Rip
What part Gabriel Part# did you use? Are you still satisfied with ride quality or did they get sloppy/loose?

Here is the info regarding the Gabriel rear shocks I finally purchased for my '73 Navajo: Gabriel Guardian Shocks and Struts 81091

Will you be driving your Navajo at the Creamery Run? Will be interested to hear your feedback on the Gabriels as well, since I have not yet installed any new shocks on either Buttercup ('72 NYB) or Ming ('73 NYB).

@ayilar could you take some close up shots of the Navajo. I´d enjoy some nice pics of that car for sure

yes I did, still wondering about the color shade but that´s just me being odd. I didn´t forget your reply earlier this thread
when asking you if it´s more orange or copper or brown. Was hoping for some pictures in the sunshine when the paint shines
bright.

yes I did, still wondering about the color shade but that´s just me being odd. I didn´t forget your reply earlier this thread
when asking you if it´s more orange or copper or brown. Was hoping for some pictures in the sunshine when the paint shines
bright.

I'll try and get some sunshine shots for you this Saturday. BTW, the paint code info is:

Brand Code: 2586 Main Layer: 2586
OEM Code: K3, AY70JK3
Description; Navajo Copper Poly
Mixing Scheme: OMNI AU (MBX Met/Mica)
Variant: PRIME
2020 PPG Industries, Inc. PPG Confidential Information

Don't ask me how I know all this. . .

If money is of no concern, you might consider QA1. They don't offer anything for Chrysler or Dodge full size of the fuselage era, but they do offer non-adjustable, single adjustable or double adjustable rear shock absorbers for fuselage Furys. Be warned, though, even the non-adjustable rear shock will run you $137.88 apiece.

QA1 (...) don't offer anything for Chrysler or Dodge full size of the fuselage era, but they do offer non-adjustable, single adjustable or double adjustable rear shock absorbers for fuselage Furys.

First time I’ve heard of them. Looks like they only carry rear shocks for Fury models. Regardeless, not sure about their selector:

69-70 Fury shocks, which they sell, should also work for 69-73 Dodge according to the OP info.

71-73 Fury shocks, which they list, should also work for 70-73 Chrysler.

Back to the original question : what works on what?

I'm no shock absorber expert but since 1983 I've had trouble getting rear shocks for a 71 Polara. The parts stores always had a different number for 71s rear shocks. Im still not sure why...

Back