Road Wheel Restoration

Stan, I believe that was a 78 Salon only wheel. I believe it's a steel 15x7 wheel with an aluminum fascia. I bet those are ultra, ultra rare wheels to find.

I have a page from the parts manual with pictures of the parts of that wheel but for some reason it won't let me insert the image. I can attach it to an email.

I hope this works....
bth_eac88e66-e59b-4d17-9e14-ddab0305d313[1].jpg

bth_eac88e66-e59b-4d17-9e14-ddab0305d313[1].jpg

After "Recall Wheels" probably the hardest Mopar styled wheel to find. That rim is a reflector. Looks unreal at night. Pre-donk bling.
Moot point, though. If I ever found a beautiful set, a $15,000 Salon will be attached to them.

< Sent from my tablet >

Last edited:
More info I found from the Data Book is the Aluminum Fascia Wheels are option Code W28 which is part of the Code 71 Package.

The Parts Book (on the same page as the illustration) says those wheels were available on R, W, X, and C Body cars. So they were available on 1978 Fury, Monaco, Charger and New Yorkers under option Code W28.

Interesting stuff ........Remember though Bob, the parts book isnt always correct

Never, EVER seen them on anything but a Salon. Intriguing info, Bob.

Yep, I went back to the illustration to compare center hub and cap part numbers to my road wheels..........those part numbers are different too.
I noticed that they weren't just available for C-bodies but R, W, X bodies too. Sure is strange, I've never seen those wheels on anything else either, then again I've never looked at the others for those wheels. I have only seen 2 Salon NY'ers........ ever.

Bob, I just remembered this was discussed on a New Yorker Yahoo Group.
The Salon rim was used across several body lines but, they used different covers. The cover on the Salon rim was exclusive to Salons. The Salon was also the only cover to have the reflective paint.

< Sent from my tablet >

I just looked at the illustration again. Part Numbers 1-4, wheel, trim ring, applique, dome, are exactly the same for R,W,X,C models. Part Number 5 which is the small cap that goes on the center of the dome (center cap) is the same for W,X,C models. Different cap for the X model (Charger). The picture is too small to see the detail differences.

Well, that settles that, then. Great find!!!!
My day is fulfilled. This is true Geek stuff.

< Sent from my tablet >

You should probably stop trying to convince everyone here, that your the ''Formal'' know it all. Which you clearly are not.

Last edited:
You should probably stop trying to convince everyone here, that your the ''Formal'' know it all. Which you clearly are not.

WTF is your problem, Mike?
I'm still learning every day.
I'm a Formal enthusiast.

WTF is your problem, Mike?
I'm still learning every day.
I'm a Formal enthusiast.

Sorry Stan. After rereading my post I realize how it sounded. I meant it to be funny, in response to your day being fulfilled/geek comment. Guess I should have added a smiley. :hide:..

No problem. Moving on then... :thumbsup:
(That did not sound like you so I thought maybe aliens captured you and replace you with a fer-ner...)

I just finished replacing the water pump, thermostat and housing, and heater hoses yesterday. I'm working on masking off the 3 other wheels for paint. I have the chrome, trim rings, center caps polished and ready. Then it's back to the auto shop on the army base to swap out the wheels. Do you have the email address from the guy I got the wheels from. He was concerned about flipping the wheels......I just want to email him a picture with the road wheels on the NY'er.

Back