Rock Auto - has 1973 Brake Calipers in stock - Cardone

Hi All,
Rock auto has calipers back in stock.
I have both of my 68's converted to 1973 disc.....and have been looking for a spare set

Came coated, with slide pins + retainer
Pleasantly surprised ($38.79 + 12.60 core = $51.39)
Just ordered a "right front" and got a "left front" because it was mis-boxed. Have to admit the return process with Rockauto was super easy and they shipped out another before even getting ours back. I know everyone gripes about Cardone but this is a low-budget car we saved from getting scrapped for the drivetrain so are cautiously giving them a try.

Yes, NAPA does show that they offer rebuilt calipers for our cars but my store shows them currently out of stock. Also, the NAPA stores carry calipers rebuilt by BBB Industries whom I trust a great deal and not the dreaded Cardone. I bought one of their BBB industries rebuilt steering gears for our cars just to try one out and despite them putting used Chrysler steering gear parts in their gears, they also use a steering gear housing that is their own, so it looks different than a stock Chrysler box and they make a few other changes they claim. It only costs some $150 plus core and for the guys that don't want to spend several hundred $$ at Steer and Gear or Firm Feel, they are a good alternative. The one I tried actually had a little better on center feel than the stock Chrysler gears but I have yet to do the alignment fully before deciding for sure on that issue, so more to come. Also, I had to just hog out one of the mounting holes by 1/16" to get it mounted correctly to my car which was pretty minor.

Also I tried to order that steering gear from Autozone since their prices were a little lower than most other stores, but after a week of waiting to get the part from them and endless calls to their management, I just gave up doing much of anything with Autozone anymore and just went to Oreilly's and had the gear the next day. I shop mostly at Oreillys these days just to avoid all the B.S. associated with Autozone and their low prices coupled with clueless management.

Also BBB Industries makes the only mini starter I will buy any more since the Chinese stuff is all junk. The BBB starter is just a little over $100 but I haven't been able to kill one yet, and they claim they remanufacture the original Denso mini starters exactly with no lapses in quality of parts compared to Denso specs., so I gave them a try and they don't fail. I believe it goes by the "Endurance" name on the box.Since I have been in contact with BBB industries about availability of their starters I will call them again and ask about their supply of rebuilt calipers for our cars and when/if they plan on getting us more supply. I believe it goes by the "Endurance" name on the box.

Since I have been in contact with BBB industries about availability of their starters I will call them again and ask about their supply of rebuilt calipers for our cars and when/if they plan on getting us more supply.
We were pleasantly surprised to find calipers available for our 69 New Yorker from Napa but unfortunately the right front was mis-boxed (no idea what it was but wasn't for my car) and they didn't have any more available. Bubble popped. Not thrilled about having two different brands (other will now be Cardont) but really just trying to get this car back on the road.

napa was 99 percent rebuilt by cardone
allmost everyones r done by cardone

just about everyone's r done by them . i bought some for ,\my truck & they failed in 1week . i had to get some from a yard & had them rebuilt @ a local rebuilder Welcome to Precision Rebuilders.com but they was local to me too'

I don't believe either of these statements to be correct - how does either of you know them to be true???

I have been doing business with NAPA over 40 years and this is the first time I have ever seen anything offered for sale rebuilt by Cardone ever. Most all rebuilt calipers for our cars that have been purchased by me were rebuilt by Centric from OReilly's Auto Parts and they have always been quality rebuilds, although there was a period where their part numbers for right vs. left were incorrect but when I pointed it out to them, they quickly recalled all their stock and corrected the issue. Since Centric was bought out by another supplier about 2 years ago now, they have no longer been rebuilding these calipers.

I can't recall a single time I bought something rebuilt by Cardone in the past that I didn't have problems.

Going forward, I will just rebuild my calipers myself.

I don't believe either of these statements to be correct - how does either of you know them to be true???

I have been doing business with NAPA over 40 years and this is the first time I have ever seen anything offered for sale rebuilt by Cardone ever. Most all rebuilt calipers for our cars that have been purchased by me were rebuilt by Centric from OReilly's Auto Parts and they have always been quality rebuilds, although there was a period where their part numbers for right vs. left were incorrect but when I pointed it out to them, they quickly recalled all their stock and corrected the issue. Since Centric was bought out by another supplier about 2 years ago now, they have no longer been rebuilding these calipers.

I can't recall a single time I bought something rebuilt by Cardone in the past that I didn't have problems.

Going forward, I will just rebuild my calipers myself.
Napa put their name on them. It's like everything they sell . they dont make anything even their batteries r made by someone else i know for a fact that AutoZone batteries r made by deka they r shipped in a blank case& the folks @ the store put their labels on the battery . im told by workers @ Napa warehouse most parts that have the naps name on them r shipped in from a outside supplier. now there r soome that swear napa parts r the best

Last edited:
But where does the "done by Cardone" information come from?

Yes, Nappa puts their name on everything, even fluids. Napa oil, for example is Valvoline (check the fine print on the back of the bottle).

Napa put their name on them. It's like everything they sell . they dont make anything even their batteries r made by someone else i know for a fact that AutoZone batteries r made by deka they r shipped in a blank case& the folks @ the store put their labels on the battery . im told by workers @ Napa warehouse most parts that have the naps name on them r shipped in from a outside supplier. now there r soome that swear napa parts r the best
Yeah I know all that but often times I can ask the counter guys who the parts I am ordering really come from and they can usually tell me. When I have problems, 90% likely it was Cardone. If you like them, then go ahead and buy them. I won't.

But where does the "done by Cardone" information come from?

Yes, Nappa puts their name on everything, even fluids. Napa oil, for example is Valvoline (check the fine print on the back of the bottle).

no way are you getting the from a yard in upstate ny
tha i wouldn't doubt as in most yards they crush & sell for scrap metal everything that's over over 5 yrs old

well call clayton i knew he had a 73 imperial 314-578-7866 u will have to leave a message but clayton will b cheaper than anyone else
his dad has over 1200 old mopars

clays card (2).jpg

Back