Rocky Mountaineer

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
So......I'm thinking positive and thinking ahead of this virus and hoping I survive.

I have a question or two for my Canadians friends about the Rocky Mountaineer train tours. I really enjoyed my train ride to Massachusetts to get my Redeye. I have always wanted to drive across Canada. I should of done that when I originally planned that trip when I retired from the Army 25 years ago. I think I would really enjoy several train rides through the Canadian wilderness and enjoy the scenic travel instead of manning a steering wheel and avoid hitting a moose or a bear on the highway. I just watched a show on the Smithsonian channel called Mighty Trains and the episode was Rocky Mountaineer. So if anybody has anything that is interesting about Canadian train travel I'm interested to hear from you. I have also seen some from the U.S. too. Great Scenic Railway Journeys and The Best of Trains Around North America.

Thanks in advance!

:usflag::canada:

I have given it thought at times. As much as I would like to do it, the pricing is more than I am willing to spend. The service, I have been told, is exceptional.

Well Bob you would pass right outside my front door at work about 300 yards away....

The trip is best enjoyed from Calgary to Vancouver I believe but the big drawback is that there are no sleeper cars on the train so you stop at a destination and Hotel it overnight and I can tell you from personal experience some of the choices are not quite 5 star :) however the big Railroad Hotels like the Banff Springs or Chateau Lake Louise are spectacular. We get plenty of tourists in town during the summer in a regular year (not this year for obvious reasons). I think if I were to do it I would do the trip from Calgary to Vancouver then hop on a cruise ship to Alaska and take the White Pass train out of Skagway to really get a feel for the spectacular Northwest. You have my number if you ever come this way.

Well Bob you would pass right outside my front door at work about 300 yards away....

The trip is best enjoyed from Calgary to Vancouver I believe but the big drawback is that there are no sleeper cars on the train so you stop at a destination and Hotel it overnight and I can tell you from personal experience some of the choices are not quite 5 star :) however the big Railroad Hotels like the Banff Springs or Chateau Lake Louise are spectacular. We get plenty of tourists in town during the summer in a regular year (not this year for obvious reasons). I think if I were to do it I would do the trip from Calgary to Vancouver then hop on a cruise ship to Alaska and take the White Pass train out of Skagway to really get a feel for the spectacular Northwest. You have my number if you ever come this way.

I sure would like to if that dang virus stuff goes away.

Another note.....

In the U.S. Army you get 3 choices for a wish list of where you want to get stationed. Usually in a 20 year career the Pentagon tries to get you to one of those assignments. So my first choice was Hawaii. Since I'm Armored Cavalry and Heavy Artillery my chances of getting assigned to Hawaii were probably zero. Alaska was my 2nd choice and I had a slim chance of getting assigned there. I had Ft. Lewis, Wa. because I could of drove to Alaska and Canada from Ft. Lewis. Well, in 20 years I never even got close to any of my choices. The closest was Ft. Bliss, Tx. In the 3rd Armored Calvary Regiment.

Jump into either the Scat Pack or the Redeye and drive out here. I'm sure either @Dobalovr or I can look after it :rolleyes::rolleyes:while you are on the train, or even bring it out to Vancouver to greet you when you get there.

I sure would like to if that dang virus stuff goes away.

Another note.....

In the U.S. Army you get 3 choices for a wish list of where you want to get stationed. Usually in a 20 year career the Pentagon tries to get you to one of those assignments. So my first choice was Hawaii. Since I'm Armored Cavalry and Heavy Artillery my chances of getting assigned to Hawaii were probably zero. Alaska was my 2nd choice and I had a slim chance of getting assigned there. I had Ft. Lewis, Wa. because I could of drove to Alaska and Canada from Ft. Lewis. Well, in 20 years I never even got close to any of my choices. The closest was Ft. Bliss, Tx. In the 3rd Armored Calvary Regiment.

My brother joined the Army in 74, still the Vietnam Era and everyone had to do a 16 month tour overseas. He requested Germany for his overseas tour. The recruiter assured him MP's where desperately needed in Germany, his tour was in Korea....:lol: Of course he didn't find it amusing.

My brother joined the Army in 74, still the Vietnam Era and everyone had to do a 16 month tour overseas. He requested Germany for his overseas tour. The recruiter assured him MP's where desperately needed in Germany, his tour was in Korea....:lol: Of course he didn't find it amusing.

I joined the Army in 1976. I was in the very last cycle of the Vietnam Era. I have the Vietnam GI Bill. I told my recruiter that I wanted to party it up one last time (New Year 1977) before being a Soldier and he said that I had to be on Active Duty in 1976 to get the Vietnam GI Bill. I was 21 then and the GI Bill really didn't mean anything to me at the time. Somehow he convinced me to start Active Duty on 29 Dec 1976. That was the very last cycle of the Vietnam Era. I am so glad that I did it!

Jump into either the Scat Pack or the Redeye and drive out here. I'm sure either @Dobalovr or I can look after it :rolleyes::rolleyes:while you are on the train, or even bring it out to Vancouver to greet you when you get there.

Nice!

:thumbsup:

Bob,
I am kind of a upscale train trip buff. I have ridden the Mountaineer over 4 times. I would do it again. You overnight in Kamloops, so it is only a daylight excusion. I would ride either Vancouver - Banff, or vice versa. You see some of the most spectacular Canadian Rockies on this trip and then you can then visit Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper on the end or start of the trip. The Vancouver/Banff route will take you over Kicking Horse Pass, one of the top railroad wonders of the world with its two spiral tunnels. The other route will take you Vancouver - Jasper, again spending the night in Kamloops. You can then overnight in Jasper Park and if you are lucky you may see the top of Mount Robson (highest point in Canada).
Several years ago Rocky Mountaineer bought the rights on the old BC Rail and they now (I think still) run from North Vancouver through Whistler and on into interior of BC. I took this trip when BC Rail ran this excursion and it overnighted in Whistler/100 Mile House/ terminate in Prince George.
I highly recommend the Gold Leaf service. You ride in a two level car with the upper level having unobstructed views and the lower level was dining car. The food is excellent. You have dining service for breakfast and dinner. Again, the Canadian beers and wines are hard to beat. So, PM me if you have questions.

... says the man who wouldn't drop off his 300 on the way to Ft. Lauderdale...

Bob,
I am kind of a upscale train trip buff. I have ridden the Mountaineer over 4 times. I would do it again. You overnight in Kamloops, so it is only a daylight excusion. I would ride either Vancouver - Banff, or vice versa. You see some of the most spectacular Canadian Rockies on this trip and then you can then visit Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper on the end or start of the trip. The Vancouver/Banff route will take you over Kicking Horse Pass, one of the top railroad wonders of the world with its two spiral tunnels. The other route will take you Vancouver - Jasper, again spending the night in Kamloops. You can then overnight in Jasper Park and if you are lucky you may see the top of Mount Robson (highest point in Canada).
Several years ago Rocky Mountaineer bought the rights on the old BC Rail and they now (I think still) run from North Vancouver through Whistler and on into interior of BC. I took this trip when BC Rail ran this excursion and it overnighted in Whistler/100 Mile House/ terminate in Prince George.
I highly recommend the Gold Leaf service. You ride in a two level car with the upper level having unobstructed views and the lower level was dining car. The food is excellent. You have dining service for breakfast and dinner. Again, the Canadian beers and wines are hard to beat. So, PM me if you have questions.

If you guys don't mind.....

I'll be in contact with you after this virus thing is over. I want to see the Great White North and a train ride would be cool as hell!

If you guys can watch or stream the Smithsonian Channel they have a series called Mighty Trains. Season 2 Episode 1 is an hour show about the Rocky Mountaineer train ride. Channel 570 on DirecTV.

I'll tell everyone that there is no way in hell I would ever consider taking a cruise with all the sickness that has been popping up on those ships in the last few years. I'm sure some cruise lines are safer than others.....its just not for me.

If you guys can watch or stream the Smithsonian Channel they have a series called Mighty Trains. Season 2 Episode 1 is an hour show about the Rocky Mountaineer train ride. Channel 570 on DirecTV.
I watch that series. Interesting one in the Alps, and another in Australia too.

Don't laugh. I have a fantasy of being on the Orient Express back in the 30's with Inspector Clouseau onboard.

Back