rough running 383...

53ryder

Reaction score
My 1967 Dodge Monaco came with rusty tank as I discovered last February.

Replaced gas tank in about a week ago.
Put in new sending unit.
Shot compressed air through fuel line from tank to just before fuel pump to clean out.
Shot compressed air through fuel line from carb to just before filter to clean out. Put everything back together.
Replaced fuel filter.

Sunday added 4 gallons of gas and car started up and ran very smoothly (yippee). Did see some rusty grit in filter.

Monday car ran fine.

Today I replaced fuel filter figuring it couldn't hurt. Car ran fine for a while then started running very roughly. Did see some rusty grit in new filter. Guess I didn't get all the rust out.

Car does start but runs very rough.

Should I try another fuel filter? Does carb need cleaning out? BTW the carb is a Edelbrock 1406 with electric choke.

Looking for advice!

Glenn

you can try changing the filter again, but chances are if the tank was rusty the lines will be too.

Yeah, I'm thinking of draining the gas, which is good gas so I won't get rid of it. Disconnect the fuel line from the gas tank and at the other end near the fuel pump and shoot some compressed air through in an attempt to 'clean' the line out. Same with the line from the carb to the fuel pump. Then re-connect eveything and try again. Hopefully I can avoid messing with the carb itself.

Glenn

you will probably need to remove the top of the carb and look in float wells for rust. clean out rust and use compressed air to clean out jets

there are 2 or 3 places where there is rubber line that need to be looked at and probably replaced.

there is a piece at the sending unit, a piece thru the frame under the passenger door area-ish, and a piece up by the pump. and maybe a piece by the carb filter if you have a filter up top.

see if you have rubber line in any of those places, and change those. mine were total sponge and would collapse and not spring back.

- saylor

Back