Question on cleaning a gas tank

when i was broke, i saved my rusty junk yard tank. now i wouldn't think twice about spending money on anything that's critical to a safe trip. 325 is cheap insurance.

I just priced a Spectra Premium CR20B gas tank at a local parts store. Remember, I'm in Kanada. Cost was $831 (Can Bux). With tax, that's $940. In US Bux, that's $692. They could have this for me the next day - they have one already in Canada at a distribution warehouse about 100 miles from me.

So, not so check cheap insurance.

Just googled that tank and saw 2 sources at $350 USD, the others were $425+.
That goes back to what I said earlier about budgets and choices.

I don't know if I'd try to fix a leaker, but when they look like what @Big_John showed there's no reason to replace it. Unless you have lots of money and just hafta spend it, or want a tank that isn't covered with undercoating.

I just priced a Spectra Premium CR20B gas tank at a local parts store. Remember, I'm in Kanada. Cost was $831 (Can Bux). With tax, that's $940. In US Bux, that's $692. They could have this for me the next day - they have one already in Canada at a distribution warehouse about 100 miles from me.

So, not so check cheap insurance.
I believe the OP has a '77 NYB and priced at Rock Auto is $329 USD. Not far off my guesstimate. Shipping would be extra.

Amazon lists the same and with Prime, the cost is $342 shipped. Granted, that is shipped to my location. CR22A is the part number. Your CR20B is the same price there and the same price at Rock Auto. Vans has your tanks for $300 USD plus shipping.

Your local parts store is probably charging you list price... I think that tank is made in Canada, so I'll bet if you shopped around, you'd get it cheaper. I could be wrong on that too.

I'll stick with what I said about it being cheap insurance for the OP. I don't know where you live in Ontario... Some Canadian guys ship stuff to a drop off in Niagara Falls (I've shipped to a couple) or if they are farther east, will drive down to Watertown to a supplier there.

Back