screetching noise in reverse

jgchemie

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a '69 Fury II with a 318 and 727 auto transmission. When I put the car in reverse and keep my foot on the brake there is a terrible screeching noise from the transmission. As soon as I life my foot from the brake and the car is moving it goes away. Is this something with the torque converter? I'll try to get a recording of it.

When mine did that, it was about 6 months before the rest of the transmission went. Check the fluid level though, it may just be low.

Ok- fluid is low- should have checked before posting :)
Question now- where do I add fluid to top off the automatic transmission? Through the check tube? I can't find another fill port.

Through the tube. Be sure to check it in neutral. After you fill run it through the gears, i.e. 1, 2 , D, R, N and again. Then check again in neutral.

That might have worked! It still makes a little noise in reverse but much better than before. I'll try driving around and see if it eliminates the sound with a few miles on the transmission.
Thanks!

Always check the automatic transmission fluid level when the car is warmed up, in neutral, on level ground and with the park brake set. If you are low, I would suggest looking for a leak and fixing the leak. Good luck.

Done- it was low so I added almost a quart and re-checked with the car level and in neutral. Sounds better but still some screeching even after driving a couple m..iles. Definitely a leak.

If it was noisy for any length of time, be sure to check the band adjustment. Also would be a good idea to drop the pan and replace the filter as it may be clogged and causing low oil pressure to bands and clutch packs.

Dave

I'm assuming if I drop the pan I need to drain the oil first? Or can I just drop the pan with a large catch basin?
How much fluid does a standard 727 tranny need?

I'm assuming if I drop the pan I need to drain the oil first? Or can I just drop the pan with a large catch basin?
How much fluid does a standard 727 tranny need?

The actual pan will have 6-8 quarts depending on how much has drained out of the torque convertor. You can use a large catch basin, it usually works best to loosen and remove all but two bolts, one on each side of the pan. Take out one of the remaining two bolts and use the other bolt as a retainer to keep the pan from falling all the way off, less messy that way. If the oil in the transmission needs changing, there is also a drain on the torque convertor. I suggest you down load the FSM at www.mymopar.com, that explains the service details very well. And the FSM also gives the band adjustment specs. Clean the pan carefully and replace the filter, be sure to follow the torque specs for the pan bolts. The 727 transmission will usually take about 10 quarts if the convertor is drained. I usually put in 6 to start and then start the car in neutral (pump is inactive in park) and then add oil until it shows full on the dip stick. Be sure to shift from D to R a couple of times to flush out any air bubbles and recheck the fluid levels.

Dave

The actual pan will have 6-8 quarts depending on how much has drained out of the torque convertor. You can use a large catch basin, it usually works best to loosen and remove all but two bolts, one on each side of the pan.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I have the FSM so I'll be sure to read the details before trying to disassemble and reassemble the pan. Does the car need to be lifted from the front to get the torque converter to drain too?

Thanks Dave. I have the FSM so I'll be sure to read the details before trying to disassemble and reassemble the pan. Does the car need to be lifted from the front to get the torque converter to drain too?

There is a small sheet metal cover with two bolts on the front of the transmission at the bottom. Remove that plate and turn the flex plate until you see the drain plug. As long as the car is reasonably level, the convertor should drain properly. If the convertor has been replaced at some point as part of a rebuild, it might not still have the drain feature, the factory convertors had drains in '69.

Dave

There is a small sheet metal cover with two bolts on the front of the transmission at the bottom. Remove that plate and turn the flex plate until you see the drain plug. As long as the car is reasonably level, the convertor should drain properly. If the convertor has been replaced at some point as part of a rebuild, it might not still have the drain feature, the factory convertors had drains in '69.

Dave
I think this car is nearly stock so the drain plug in the converter should be there. Thanks!

Back