Seat track-use carriage bolts or is there a source?

Joseph James

Reaction score
I had to use a cut off wheel to get the bolts out. Was going to use carriage bolts but does anyone make original style bolts?

Thanks.

Bad idea. You should be looking for grade 8 bolts .in a rear end collision the force could cause the bolts to shear off with the forward energy sort of the reason they use large diameter bolts and reinforcement plates for seat belt mounts.A hot rod shop I used years ago to put new seats & 3 point harnesses in a car for me insisted I use all grade 8 hardware & reinforcement plates or they would not do the job. Their experience was good enough for me.

Bad idea. You should be looking for grade 8 bolts .in a rear end collision the force could cause the bolts to shear off with the forward energy sort of the reason they use large diameter bolts and reinforcement plates for seat belt mounts.A hot rod shop I used years ago to put new seats & 3 point harnesses in a car for me insisted I use all grade 8 hardware & reinforcement plates or they would not do the job. Their experience was good enough for me.

Grade 8 carriage bolt? Requires something like that. Track has a square in it for bolt to lock in. Can’t find OEM style anywhere.

You scaring me. Driver seat only has 1 bolt holding it in.

You might have to grind the bolt heads to fit in the track.

The reinforcement plates were needed in order to spread the forces over a larger area, rather than just where the bolt/nots attached the seat belts. They used to be called "anchors", in prior times, with respect to seat belts. IF the seat track sits firmly on the flat floor pan, with the larger flanged bolts on the bottom of the floor pan, that might effectively do the same thing for the seat?

As for the carriage head bolts, they might be listed in the "Standard Parts" section of the Chrysler parts book. Probably not available, but the specs and illustrations would be listed there, if they are in there.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I'll try to get some pictures of the bolts I just took out of a car, I don't remember them being much bigger than the carriage bolts I used to put my bench seat in, yep, I used carriage bolts from the hardware store.

In my 66s, the bolt goes through from the top, locked in place with the square shoulder, and the floor pan has special mini-rails running side to side that spread the load. The nuts are special with slightly domed captive washer IIRC.

In my 66s, the bolt goes through from the top, locked in place with the square shoulder, and the floor pan has special mini-rails running side to side that spread the load. The nuts are special with slightly domed captive washer IIRC.
Mine is same. Just can’t find a source for new ones. Waiting on email from RT Specialties. Hoping the version they sell will work.

Edit-RT Specialties says they will fit. Placing my order.

Last edited:
Back