Sector shaft size

superfragl

Reaction score
Hi all,
Getting ready to pull the trigger on Borgeson steering box upgrade. What size sector shaft I have?
68 Sport Fury..

Thanks. I was not sure if c-bodies being bigger cars had a bigger shaft..

So where exactly I have to measure the shaft? Last night I checked the diameter of the shaft where it exits the steering box right before splines start and it showed 1.25"
I assume I got a bigger sector shaft...

So where exactly I have to measure the shaft? Last night I checked the diameter of the shaft where it exits the steering box right before splines start and it showed 1.25"
I assume I got a bigger sector shaft...
The diameter of the spline part of the shaft that the Pitman arm slides onto.

PicsArt_11-22-08.54.09.jpg

Last edited:
ok, so that diameter could definitely be smaller. Will have to pull the pitman arm then.

I thought C bodies/ vans all had large diameter the lesser cars A, B, E had small till 72. 73 everybody got large diameter.
E body T/A and AAR got large sector in 71 340 Cuda's got AAR extended pitman arm, aka fast ratio steering necessitating the large sector shaft also.
I do believe the 65 c bodies have smaller sector shaft.

I believe his car should have the smaller shaft but I'll hold off until he can get an accurate measurement.

Now somebody find me a NOS police box please....
He needs to measure that, we need to know.

Save the aggravation and money buy a firm feel level 2 box

I pulled the pitman arm last night and measured the shaft - it is 1 1/4" dia.

I pulled the pitman arm last night and measured the shaft - it is 1 1/4" dia.
Keep us posted on how this goes. I am going to need a steering box for my Charger and been debating, figure if you have only minimal problem getting this in a C body my cookie cutter B body is a walk in the park.

Keep us posted on how this goes. I am going to need a steering box for my Charger and been debating, figure if you have only minimal problem getting this in a C body my cookie cutter B body is a walk in the park.
Ditto.
I want to hear first how a box R&R goes in real life first before I get involved with anything I wish I hadn't started.
If only I had done it while the whole front end was disassembled... :mad:

I'm trying to make my Charger a bit of pro touring style, overdrive, blueprint the suspension, modern A/C, maybe cruise and EFI. What I don't want is to redesign the entire suspension, coil overs, rack and pinion etc., So one of these boxes is something I have been looking at.

Back