Seen today...

MarPar

Meat Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Oh momma

DSC03098.JPG

Last edited:
It is interesting that you post that. My body/paint guy says he is planning on building one himself and already has completed fabrication of the whole front nose with working headlight doors and all. They are his favorite cars, but can't afford a real one.

It is interesting that you post that. My body/paint guy says he is planning on building one himself and already has completed fabrication of the whole front nose with working headlight doors and all. They are his favorite cars, but can't afford a real one.

Ill never be able to afford pretty much any of the autos I have seen today, but it's great to be able to breath next them all and spy them with mine own eyeballs. Life is grand...

Super Mario.gif

Very cool cars!

Never give of hope of having a dream car......

I now have mine and I waited until I was 63.

l was involved in a complete restoration of a white Superbird, in the 1990s, which another of our Mopar club had chased for a year or so. It was original when he finally found it, in a body shop (a noted Early Bird restorer) ready to get a quarter panel dent repaired. The owner, a former Chrysler-Plymouth dealer (which another club member used to work for, in the '70s or so). Negotiations were done. Deal was finally made, with the then-owner and the body shop.

The car was completely disassembled down to the body shell. Plastic media blasted, then each component was reassembled when it was refurbished. YearONE was the main source for interior items, new repro Goodyears, etc. Black custom interior, 440 4bbl/TF car, bench seat.

It took about 2 years for it to be completed in his shop, once he got it from the body shop. We ALL helped when we could, for a few meals in exchange. It was fun and interesting! I learned many things about Chrysler's design/construction orientations in the process. When it was late at night and a small gasket was needed, for example, I went to my somewhat nearby shadetree shop and got one from my Mopar Perf "teardown gasket kit", so things could continue.

I never was very excited by the white body color. Just didn't pop as some of the others did. But when it was completed and taken to the Mopar Nats at Indy, after the car had been polished in preparation for its parade lap down the track, the car just looked different to me. I stood there trying to figure it out. Same car we left Fort Worth with, but it now looked much better! Then, I figured it out. IT KNEW WHERE IT WAS, like a fine race horse that knows it's won the race and now heads for the Winner's Circle. It was ready for its honor of running down the track for all to admire and such. I smiled. I always knew that cars had a soul, too! This seemed to prove it to me.

Two or our Mopar club members had effective doctorates of Wing Car Ology. One with a copy of the build instructions for the Daytona and Superbird. I'd always liked the Daytonas better, BUT the Superbirds were "cleaner builds", as their parts got painted with the same paint ad the rest of the car, on the assembly line. The nosecone was suspended inside the passenger compartment and sprayed there. Daytonas went off-site for their changes and repaints. To be correct, a Daytons whould have THREE levels or primer and paint oversperay on the underbody, from the various paint operations they went thorough.

When I saw some of the Superbirds in the middle '70s, it was easy to tell the "normal-use" cars from those that were always garaged. The vinyl top had bubbles under it in the rear glass area, where all of the body work was done to make things work, covered by a quick vinyl top application.

In the restoration of that particular Superbird, many of our other Mopar club members helped and provided assistance in making it all happen As correct of a restoration as could be done. Paint daubs and inspection grease pencil marks were all reproduced as accurately as could be done, based on what THAT CAR had on it.

At Mopar Nats, a few other intense restorers were befriended. People who loved the cars and wanted them exactly right. One group from MN was there with a green Super Bee. I observed as they wiped the inner areas of the cowl area with the door open. When one of the guys stopped wiping for a second, I congratulated him for the great job they'd done on that car. He looked up with a broad grin on his face, noticing that I'd noticed. THAT made it all worthwhile, it seemed. Then he went back to what he was doing and I ambled on, admiring what they'd done and how great the car looked. Seems that this was not the first restoration that Dodge dealer had done on his cars, by his own dealership people.

Some great memories!
CBODY67

On the way up to Indy, the owner had an idea as they drove through the farm country. On the way back to TX, he pulled the truck/enclosed trailer to the side of the highway. The car was unloaded and warmed up. He and another club member, the one who had helped him track the car, told their sons. "When you see us stopped, pull over and we'll load the car back up". Then they rolled the windows down, put the vent windows in their max-open position, and accelerated toward the horizon. After a few miles, everything was running as expected and desired, so they "opened it up". At about 110mph, they were enjoying the experience of the "new" car. All was good! Then, suddenly, a "WHAPP" sound happened. All of the gauges looked normal. They looked at each other trying to figure it out. Then the noticed it was the vent windows which had suddenly closed themselves. That being figured out, they smiled and laughed. Then that was taken as an omen that their "fun" was complete.

They pulled off at the next gas station, parked and waited for the kids to appear with the truck and trailer. A nice end to a nice experience. The kids appeared, a "pit stop" opportunity was taken, then they loaded the car in the box, and headed for TX. All with smiles on their faces.

Some great times! I still smile when I think of them and feel blessed that I could have been a part of it all. They might be "new only once", but careful, deliberate, and accurately making them "new again" extends the possible enjoyment of our cars many times over.

EACH OEM had their own unique engineering and design approaches to things. THAT's what made them unique unto themselves and it's those tactile and auditory items that make them special to those of us who happened to grow up with them, or learn about them later. ONE reason I like original, or near original, cars more than "modified" cars. Especially why I don't like "bagged" cars or any suspension mod that tends to do away with the torsion bar/leaf spring factory-style suspension!

The sounds and feels, those are some of the reasons I like Chrysler products so much. I just wish that everybody would take the time to enjoy or learn about those things before they start to "change things" to what others might advocate is "better". The suspension geometry that makes it all happen AND why it works so well, too! Many of these things can be easily missed or written off a "something different", but until you spend hours at a time, on non-Interstate highways, with turns and bumps, that you can key on the throttle response characteristics, how you might not need to slow down for a turn, as a GM car of similar origin might REQUIRE, plus how you get feedback from the road under you. Or how the Chrysler radios tended to receive far-off AM stations that other brands couldn't!

To me, the worst thing is when owners want their Chrysler products to act like a generic GM or Ford car, much less an "appliance car" Toyota! They'll never be happy with a Chrysler product, by observation, NOR understand it, either!

So please don't take my comments about "bagging and 4-linking" the wrong way. Chryslers aren't as capable of those things as a GM car is. NOR as easily done. Plus it takes out some of the main reasons I like Chryslers so much, which I want others to fully experience and understand, too! Part of what makes them great, to me. The dynamics of the torsion bar/leaf spring suspension with HD shocks (the old Monroe Super 500s typically) were far superior to what other OEMs had, ON THE ROAD, period.

Y'all enjoy!
CBODY67

ex-Jim Radke car. This car is infamous for Jim rattle can spraying the entire car white because it was too hot inside with the black paint.

CBODY67, those would be perfect, if you had old pictures to scan and post up.:thumbsup:

Back