Sense and nonsense of fender tags

In the recent thread Question About D32 vs D34 on Fender Tags the varying use of transmission codes was raised. A worthy subject for this thread as well.

What was stable in the relevant period, ie. from 1969 when the one-letter-and-two-digits codes were introduced until the end of C-body production, is the meaning of sales code D34: "TorqueFlite 3-Speed Automatic Tranmsmission", as opposed to 3- and 4-speed manual transmissions. A good example is this 1969 Salesman's Pocket Guide information: no matter which variant of the TorqueFlite is meant, it invariably gets generically coded as "D34".

What changed was the information contained in the 1969 and up Broadcast Sheet. Codes for the transmission occur in two sections: the "Basic Car" section (the upper two lines) and the "Build" section where the part numbers go. The sales code goes in the Basic Car section:

69-XS29L9G244034-broadcast.jpg

Between 1972 (possibly already from the end of 1971) and 1975 the transmission slot in the Basic Car section holds generic sales code D34 in order to distinguish a 3-speed automatic from other types of transmissions. In 1976 however, that slot holds a specific sales code for one of the TorqueFlites (A904, A998, A999 or A727), just like it did in 1969-71:

76-WL46K6A109403-broadcastsheet.jpg

This change-over probably lead to confusion, which was countered by having two slots in the Basic Car section in 1977 and up sheets. The first slot holds the generic TorqueFlite sales code D34 and the second slot a sales code for a specific TorqueFlite:

77-132823-RH23J7A132823-broadcastsheet.jpg

For not too early C-bodies (I'm sorry, I don't know Fuselage C-bodies well enough) one would expect a code for the A727. Only the specific code for an A727 TorqueFlite was not always the same. For instance, checking the part numbers for TorqueFlite transmissions reveals that in 1970 sales code D32 is associated with a 440-engine, standard or high-performance 727. By 1976 that combination is covered by D36.

This explains the vagaries observed in the use of codes D32, D34 and D36 on 1969-77 C-body tags. Well, almost explains. Why this hopping around between generic and specific sales codes in the broadcast sheets?

Last edited:
Why generic and specific codes on sheet? Because Two different builders in the plant will be reading the trans info.

the body building area reads D32 or D21 (automatic or manual) so they know what tunnel and associated brackets to weld. on the body shell before painting. (They don’t need to know which part number trans is going in the car)

The other trans info is very specific as to which gearbox to pick from the shelf and bolt to the engine for this car.

As we know a 383 2 bbl and a 440 HP trans are built differently inside, but will bolt up to any big block engine.

"Why this hopping around between generic and specific sales codes in the broadcast sheets?

The "hopping around" one can only assume 40-50+ years later.

The fender tag was intended as information for the dealership's technician for servicing/repairs.
At the time the broadcast sheets were just assembly line worker instructions.
Different assembly plants built different cars and there can be some variances and different interpretations of the codes among and between them.
For example,a police fleet car will show on the fender tag the code for a 727 automatic but the broadcast sheet will show HD727.

Plus Chrysler is know to rehash certain fender tag codes for different options. N96 is a classic example. What it meant in 1969 may not be the same in 1972 and not to be interpreted the same option in different platforms built by different plants (B/E/C bodies)
yeah,N96 was cold air package or shaker hood package but N96 on a full size 1970 Chrysler 300 is a totally different option.

Finally, a lot had changed from 1970 to 1976 in the automotive manufacturing world.
Federally mandated requirements,insurance,and the oil embargo all put a thumb on all cars and the changes were reflected in the broadcast sheets and fender tags.
Nowadays,Fender tags and broadcast sheets are great references and if in tact they can confirms one's vehicle's pedigree.
For cars requiring a full restoration it is again an instruction sheet on how to rebuild the car back to "as new" if desired.
On a Hemi car or winged car yes very important. But on most C bodies,nice to have and read.
As far as I am concerned all C bodies are "one of one" when you could order anything you wish on your C as long as you had the money.
Not like today if you want a sunroof you get it bundled with HID headlights and group 2 stereo.

"Why this hopping around between generic and specific sales codes in the broadcast sheets?

The "hopping around" one can only assume 40-50+ years later.

413 makes a logical, and likely accurate, explanation. Different people assembling the car need to know different things. the BIW guy assembling the floor pans doesn't know, or care, if the car is going to wind up a Satellite or a GTX but he does need to know if the car needs a four speed hump (D21) or not.

The fender tag was intended as information for the dealership's technician for servicing/repairs.
The fender tag was intended to be a durable traveling 'map' of the basic body in white necessities and modifications as the car was built. It needed to survive welding and the paint. If the info had a benefit to a service person, so much the better.

At the time the broadcast sheets were just assembly line worker instructions.
The Broadcast sheets were primarily a benefit to sub assemblies (dashes, interiors) which is one reason why you'll find them attached/affixed/in the sub assembly. The traveling sheet was probably more of a benefit to the the line worker than a broadcast sheet.

Different assembly plants built different cars and there can be some variances and different interpretations of the codes among and between them.
You'll have to produce example of this statement.

For example,a police fleet car will show on the fender tag the code for a 727 automatic but the broadcast sheet will show HD727.

Plus Chrysler is know to rehash certain fender tag codes for different options. N96 is a classic example. What it meant in 1969 may not be the same in 1972 and not to be interpreted the same option in different platforms built by different plants (B/E/C bodies) yeah,N96 was cold air package or shaker hood package but N96 on a full size 1970 Chrysler 300 is a totally different option.
You may want to find a different example. Your point that certain codes were re used in different years is true but codes are pretty consistent across lines within a model year. While the actual application by make or body style may be different, N96 is N96 for 1970. I'm pretty sure there is no C body N96 code for 1970 that mean something different than a Fresh Air package.

"Why this hopping around between generic and specific sales codes in the broadcast sheets?"

What I meant is the shifting emphasis on generic vs. specific sales codes in the Basic Car section:

1969-1971: D31 = "A904" or D32 = "A727" (specific codes)
1972-1975: D34 = "TorqueFlite 3-Speed Automatic Transmission" (generic code)
1976: D36 = "A727" (specific code)
1977-1978: D34 + D36 (generic code + specific code)

From a Formal C-body point of view, as they only come with an A727, D36 is pretty redundant. It must have made some sense from a corporate point of view, taking all car lines together.

I did not mean the part number in the Build section, that is specific by nature.

Last edited:
From a Formal C-body point of view, as they only come with an A727, D36 is pretty redundant.

Hm, I could be wrong here. From 1975 on the 318-2 engine was available on basic Gran Furys. Could somebody maybe confirm the following data from autorepairmanuals.biz for the 1975-77 period?

"Gran Fury 1975-1988 30RH A904"

Last edited:
My 70 Coronet R/T is a Super Track Pack car
A-34 option is on the Broadcast sheet but not on the fender tag.

Was it built at the Lynch Road plant? WS23*0A? If yes, the A34 will not appear on the tag. If no, then you have a problem with the tag.

Very interesting discussion here. My Eggshell White 77 Royal Monaco coupe has 111 on the radiator support tag and it is a N96 High Altitude emission's car.

20200218_090750.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that looks very interesting, thanks!

N96 High Altitude Emissions was a tweak based on N95 California Emissions.

If you ever get around to it, please take a look at the location of the heat shields. If they are still there and seem to be original.

Yes, that looks very interesting, thanks!

N96 High Altitude Emissions was a tweak based on N95 California Emissions.

If you ever get around to it, please take a look at the location of the heat shields. If they are still there and seem to be original.
I can see a heat shield on the passenger side and that does look original, but no heat shield on the driver side.

fender tags listed the big groups that a car may need special holes,brackets, rear ends,engines etc for.. small stuff is on the sheet only
Hence why these are fastened to body, even prior to paint. The build sheets were printed-out in various areas of plant then matched to fender tag later. For instance seat trim shop will print out the build sheet when assembling seats. Why they are found under seat springs. Trim shop will print one out also to confirm interior trim colors and often found under carpet. Dash assemblies were often assembled off-line and build sheet will often be found stuffed over glove box.

Hence why these are fastened to body, even prior to paint. The build sheets were printed-out in various areas of plant then matched to fender tag later. For instance seat trim shop will print out the build sheet when assembling seats. Why they are found under seat springs. Trim shop will print one out also to confirm interior trim colors and often found under carpet. Dash assemblies were often assembled off-line and build sheet will often be found stuffed over glove box.
I appreciate you mentioning this. I found a partial build sheet stuffed in the springs of the drivers seat. Never knew to look under the dash or carpet.

I can see a heat shield on the passenger side and that does look original, but no heat shield on the driver side.

That's encouraging. With "111" there should only be heat shields (three of them) on the passenger side.

I found a partial build sheet stuffed in the springs of the drivers seat.

Is line 12 "Floor Heat Shields" readable? What does it say in the boxes labelled 2/RT, 3/RT and 4/RT?

That's encouraging. With "111" there should only be heat shields (three of them) on the passenger side.

Is line 12 "Floor Heat Shields" readable? What does it say in the boxes labelled 2/RT, 3/RT and 4/RT?
I just checked and the car does have 3 heat shields on the passenger side. The only build sheet I have found so far was under the driver seat and more than half of it is missing. In the attached picture you can barely make out some of line 12. In the 3/RT and 4/RT boxes you see what looks like number 64.

20201118_082516.jpg

Like, Thanks, Agree, I just don't know what to pick!

You've just given an important confirmation of the assumption developed earlier on about the meaning of that three-digit code on 1977 Belvidere-assembled C body fender tags: 111 = three floor heat shields on the passenger side.

When you come to Italy, stop by and I'll open a bottle of spumante!

Like, Thanks, Agree, I just don't know what to pick!

You've just given an important confirmation of the assumption developed earlier on about the meaning of that three-digit code on 1977 Belvidere-assembled C body fender tags: 111 = three floor heat shields on the passenger side.

When you come to Italy, stop by and I'll open a bottle of spumante!
Thank you, I am glad my information assisted in clearing that up. I enjoy learning as much as I can about these cars.

Wow! That is a lot of options on your car!

Can we see pictures of the car???
Thanks for asking. This car actually has 2 tags. It's pretty special to me. I looked for a 440 coupe for many years before finding this one. Very hard to find.

20200822_131549.jpg

20200530_115620.jpg

20200412_151051.jpg

20200822_130844(1).jpg

Back