Separating Transmission

TX67FURY

Reaction score
I have a 383 block and a 727 I need to seperate. Only thing I’ve never done before is do it when it’s not in the car. Any advise for how to tackle it?

I do have an engine lift; I’m assuming just lift it to where I can stabilize it and go at it the normal way?

You need to support the rear of the block.
I do this by laying a 4x4 across the width of the engine compartment and a chain.

What needs to come out?? Motor or trans??
If it is the trans,follow Stanley's advice.

If it is the motor,undo the torque convertor bolts first,then belhousing bolts then motor mount bolts.
Go under again and support the trans with a trolly jack and a piece of plywood (not to damage tranny pan.)
As you pull the motor up and ahead,pry the trans away or pump the jack if needed.
hope this helps and make sure you have a buddy helping you!!

If it's not in the car, then lift the motor and trans as an assembly with your engine crane. The assembly of course will want to tip towards the extra weight of the trans, so get something to put under the trans to stabilize it that you can height-adjust periodically as you raise the crane to a good working height. It doesn't need to be anything major, but it will need to be strong enough to support the trans when it is separated from the motor, until you get it bolted to a trans stand. Another engine stand with a sling type of arrangement under the gearbox and tailshaft (two support points, NOT one), or a sturdy wooden cradle of 2 x 4 on some blocks. Have enough blocks around so you can build a platform not a tower and it will spread the weight of the trans out. If you build a tower to support the trans it will likely want topple once the weight shifts from separating the engine.

Here's a 3 point sling that will give you the idea that hangs from a single point - you could make this in 10 minutes - use another engine crane or a chain over a beam and rig it up with some sturdy rope.

resto-mod-174.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I didn’t clarify, the engine is out of the car. I should be able to borrow another lift to cradle the trans.

Thanks again!

If it's out of the car, lift it high enough to remove the torque converter bolts and then set it back on the floor but keep some tension on the lift to support the engine so that the oil pan just touches the floor.

Put something under the trans pan like some 2x6 so the whole assembly sits supported and level and remove the bell housing bolts. You should now be able to separate the trans and slide it away from the engine on the blocking without any drama or bloodshed.

Kevin

Back