Setting the Carb choke thermostat

whotmewory

Reaction score
I am looking for any information on setting my choke thermostat on my 1966 Newport with 383 CID, and Carter BBD 1-1/2" 2 bbl carburetor (model 4126).

My [original] Stromberg / Bendix choke thermostat shows the Lean and Rich scale clearly; but there is no corresponding notch on the coiled spring dial(?) to line up with the scale. The "dial" is a flat round piece about the size of a quarter and fits on the coil spring shaft, behind the Lean-Rich scale.

Can anyone give me a way to "eyeball" this setting? According to my 66 shop manual, specification is to set the thermostat to "2 Notch Rich."

Cheers from NC.

The marks are just as a mental note. I doubt you could go by the "2 notch rich" rule after years of use. Set it so the choke plate fully closes at 70 F, but not real tight. It is most important to check that your "choke pull-off" diaphragm works (often ruined by carb cleaner). Test it with a vacuum pump and set the bent link so it pops the choke open the correct amount (drill size in manual). If no pump, push it in, hold your finger over the vacuum tube and verify that the diaphragm holds it in w/ vacuum. If not, you will run very rich until it warms up, and likely stall. The theory is the choke is closed tight while cranking, but should pop open slightly the instant the engine fires.

I currently have a Carter BBD on my Dart w/ 273 engine. I got an electric-assist choke from an 80's 318 (Diplomat or such). It has a thermal sensor and heater that helps the choke open much sooner as the engine heats to save gas and minimize pollution. That is a simple and cheap junkyard upgrade.

Bill: This is great. Yes, I just rebuilt the carb and did all the setting you mentioned (choke pull-off diaphragm is new); but neither my shop manual nor the 66 or 68 or 69 Master Technician's manuals / updates mention this thing. It's like the little rubber bumper in the power steering bracket, I guess - just some things that got by the technical writers.

I give this a shot.

Thank you.

Long story. Not critical to the subject. Has to do with the power steering bracket [complete assembly as it left the factory]. I was just making a point how many items seem to be left out of the shop manual from back then.

Back