Sheet metal cutting and shear. Any suggestions?

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking to do some straight cuts in sheet metal and wondering if the sheet metal experienced have any suggestions?

Looking to cut a range between 16 and 22 gauge with minimal distortion.
I have seen 12 and 30” metal shears for straight cuts, throat less shears that I believe you can straight cut as well as go around corners. Nibblers and other types of cutters.
Not sure what type to start with.
I have also started looking at shear and brake combo’s to bend flanges as well.
Not sure where to start.
For a simpler sheer under $100 would be great, but maybe a combo one that does more than cut maybe up to $300.

Open for advice and interested in what you may use.

Thanks
48F59711-25F6-4E9F-8763-1FD66BD8C54A.png

I have one of these Woodward Fab throatles shears. I think it's a 8", but I'm not going out in the garage right now to check.

Throatless Hand Shear | Metal Cutting Hand Shear – Woodward Fab

That will cut about the cleanest, next to that jump shear... but it's also a lot less $$ and doesn't take up as much space. I've done a ton of work on a jump shear... I used to make prototype sheet aluminum parts back in my Tooolmaker days .. and they are the best choice, but they have a big footprint and aren't cheap.

My throatless shear worked out well for me, but if I were to get something else, I'd look into a "3 in 1" shear. That does a lot more than just cut metal... But it's more $$ and I never needed something like that.

3-In-1 Sheet Metal Shearing Machine - Woodward Fab

Thanks @Big_John this is the info I was looking for. I do like the 8” throatless shear.

I was at Harbor Fright today and was looking at their 3 in 1, 30” machine. It was $629. Now if I came across a 25% off coupon, I’d possibly consider it. But it does take up some space and not sure I am ready to spend that much yet
B07F21BE-B475-48B4-9419-6B8A78CE1550.jpeg

Thanks @Big_John this is the info I was looking for. I do like the 8” throatless shear.

I was at Harbor Fright today and was looking at their 3 in 1, 30” machine. It was $629. Now if I came across a 25% off coupon, I’d possibly consider it. But it does take up some space and not sure I am ready to spend that much yet View attachment 584176
Check your PM box.

My 8” Woodward sheer came in.
Couldn’t wait to use it. I think am going to like it. I’m sure it will work much better when I make a base for it.
Also need/want to make a guide or indicator to line up the front jaw to the scribe for straighter cuts that don’t angle away from the scribe line. I used a small magnetic laser for now, but there isn’t a good mounting point. I have a couple of other ideas.
Am using for now to repair my engine analyzer cabinet.
New project: Allen Engine analyzers, restoration?

63B23D52-80ED-4E1F-B119-B15F2CE443F3.jpeg
30C98453-7C23-4BDF-96DF-0FAD6BF3B9FF.jpeg
A8A81F06-B930-4259-9C03-51799508EACF.jpeg

My 8” Woodward sheer came in.
Couldn’t wait to use it. I think am going to like it. I’m sure it will work much better when I make a base for it.
Also need/want to make a guide or indicator to line up the front jaw to the scribe for straighter cuts that don’t angle away from the scribe line. I used a small magnetic laser for now, but there isn’t a good mounting point. I have a couple of other ideas.
Am using for now to repair my engine analyzer cabinet.
New project: Allen Engine analyzers, restoration?

View attachment 585135View attachment 585136View attachment 585137
Because I don't use it very much, I put mine in my bench vise rather than mounting it.

That works well for me. YMMV.

I have a couple of rolling cabinets, that I built a receiver plate with 1” dowels. Then when I get a new tool I will build a base plate to mount it on with holes to match the receiver. That’s one plan, but the base does take space. I will have to look at the vice option as well.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Although the vise is a much easier option.

image.jpg

Back