"Shirley Pickles" is surely a Sherwood green 1972 4 dr Imperial

You know Bob, I'm not put off by any cracks or minor blemishes in general...I will definitely arrest any rust or leaking fluids that would shorten the life of these behemoth beauties. The scars are kinda cool to touch and look at and wonder what exactly happened. Each Imperial has scratches, door dings, sunkist fading of vinyl and paint...etc...I'm not hung up on the imperfections as I used to be...I'm not cut out to have museum pieces or glossy show cars.

I don't know if you seen the cracks in my original steering wheel or not. My original steering wheel was taking chunks of flesh out of my hand so I had to do something at that time. I did see a lot of fusie steering wheels available when I was looking for a Formal steering wheel. I did luck out with help from Mr C to finding a leather wrapped steering wheel out of a smashed Daytona Charger that worked on my Formal with a little lathe work on the mounting hub.

61989719_1270641416433019_5637251151318482944_na.png

Shirley is surely legal now for the road.
Just took DMV about ten days.
Just have to get down to the shop and get her dun.
20190615_113649 (1).jpg

The top isn't too bad...I can live with it for now.
*Tina Patina will get her new one over the winter.

20190629_092826 (3).jpg

Hate leaving her there. But, there's work to be done on her.
To do list:
New carb, exhaust, tune up, oil change, get rid of some annoying aftermarket security lock system, blower motor, tranny needs linkage adjustment, I noticed steering pump might be going, there were NO leaks under her, though.
Brake system is all good.
Not too bad for sitting a bit.

IMG_20190629_110738_597.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw one of your mechanics nearby, not long after you were there, he looked exhausted! :poke::poke:

Found some fun goodies in the trunk. Tons of paperwork and receipts. Copy of an old CL ad from 2013. It might have popped up here back then in the for sale section. Way before I was around the forum.
SCAN0546body.jpg
SCAN0546.JPG
SCAN0547.JPG
SCAN0548.JPG

i'll bet that vinyl top would clean right up. I had one that looked worse than that. Took some warm soapy water and a soft bristle brush and scrubbed the whole top and then rinsed it off and put a vinyl finish/wax on it and it came out looking brand new. I got the car super cheap because the top looked so bad and the driver's electric window didn't work. My mechanic found out the electric windows literally just had a screw loose. He tightened it up and the window worked perfectly. He didn't even charge me. Once I had that fixed and the top cleaned I remember I happened to drive by the previous owner's house a few days later. He was out washing his car and literally did a double-take as I drove by. lol

I think this is the timeline:

*1972-1982 original owner until death in 1982, sat in garage 25 years until wife passes in 2007.
*2nd owner estate sale buyer
*3rd (CL lister James) owns it ?-2013
*4th 2013-2019 (Ed H.) has it until he passes 2019
*5th Flipper/dealer has it for a millisecond(title still in Ed H. name)/sells it to me.

*So, I would be the 6th owner if you include the flipper.

Last edited:
i'll bet that vinyl top would clean right up. I had one that looked worse than that. Took some warm soapy water and a soft bristle brush and scrubbed the whole top and then rinsed it off and put a vinyl finish/wax on it and it came out looking brand new. I got the car super cheap because the top looked so bad and the driver's electric window didn't work. My mechanic found out the electric windows literally just had a screw loose. He tightened it up and the window worked perfectly. He didn't even charge me. Once I had that fixed and the top cleaned I remember I happened to drive by the previous owner's house a few days later. He was out washing his car and literally did a double-take as I drove by. lol
Somewhere between 2007 and 2013 the vinyl top was replaced so it should clean up pretty good.

I took a chance and texted the 3rd (James) owner's number this morning that I had in the records from 2013 sale. I honestly didn't know if he was alive. He texted back some fun information.
See below:

"It was filthy when I found it under an old pecan tree, but I knew it looked like a solid car and they were trying to sell it for scrap! I paid a $1000 for it... rebuilt the motor and tranny, new tires, and had the top replaced with The same Mopar material. That is the original paint also."

"I went back and found a lady who's father ordered that car from Chrysler and had it delivered to him in Ft. Worth where they lived. He owned it until he passed away in 82' and his wife did not drive, so it set in the garage for 25 years until she passed away and it was sold in an estate sell to the guys I bought it from. It still had the 1982 inspection sticker on it when I found it in 07'."

"The engine was simply locked up and we tried literally everything we could to get it to move, but couldn't."

"I sold it to an older gentleman that lived here in Dallas/Ft.Worth area a few years later after starting many new projects. I can't tell you how good it makes my heart feel to know that that beautiful car is in the hands of some one who cared about preserving it as much as I did!!!!"

Last edited:
Back