"SHOW CAR" Build Sheet

Actually..most if not all “show cars”, “public relations cars”, “internal and executive order cars” and “Pilot” cars were, after intended use, sold at dealerships across the US & Canada.

it could have been by the advertising department, promotion department etc.
I was speaking strictly about evidence on the broadcast sheet. If the car's original use was within the company, a sale at a dealership later wouldn't show up on the sheet.

I'm trying to get more info on my car right now. It's was sold originally at State Oil and Auto Company in Hunter, ND 11/65 to a Myron G. Larsen. Unfortunately he died in 2015. I know he owned it until at least 1989. He has relatives in WA and that is where I purchased the car so my guess is after his death a relative got it and then later sold it locally. I suppose, as someone mentioned earlier, he might have also owned the show car a one point later on and that is how the broadcast sheet ended up in my car. Here's the Certicard from my car.

243552296_201714038717643_9103843093564703128_n.jpg

From my ‘67 Imp and has no notes at the bottom.

Here's a good example of why to keep apples to apples comparisons and not cross years and makes when discussing topics like this i.e a 66 Chrysler Vs 67 Imperial.

AA1 is listed as additional cost paint for both 66 and 67 Chryslers.

It is NOT listed as an addition cost paint for 67 Imperials. Therefore, presumably, there was no need to code a 67 Imperial for 708 for either the process or the additional cost. A window sticker from a 67 imperial painted AA1 (not a Plymouth, not a Dodge, not a Chrysler, not any other year....) would confirm this.

Up in the top right corner of the sheet "Fleet/bid/lease 70" has code 3 under it. I've tried to search and have no idea what that code means, but the answer should tell you something. A show car used for display would have never went to a dealership, been leased etc... The Ford code for my "Show car" wagon decodes into "Transportation services," maybe this would fall under "Fleet" for Chryslers? Does a "Fleet" vehicle necessarily have to be built for someone else's fleet? Unless there is another code for Chryslers that were built for use by the company.
It would be a good idea to start tracking down past owners of your own car to see who put this in the glovebox if you really want an answer.
My memory from working at a Chrysler dealership from 1984-2015 was that when the annual car show was in Kansas City our dealership would accept and prep the show cars (or more accurately?, cars meant for the show) and then they would be taken to the convention center for the show. After the show they came back to the dealership and went into inventory. They weren't anything special as far as options go so I guess I'll have to rescind my earlier comment about show cars being high optioned vehicles but they certainly were not strippers. I also remember our dealership would provide salesmen to attend the show but they were not allowed to actually sell cars during the show (fingers crossed). It's all coming back to me now! Guess I'll have to track down an old salesman to confirm the above. Don't know how it happened in 1966 though.

As far as fleet vehicles go I remember there being a few different ways they were handled. Our dealership also did fleet sales but they were not very profitable, maybe $50 a car. We had a contract with the local Thrifty rental company for example. The cars would come in by the truckload and parked, no new car prep performed. Then they would be picked up by Thrifty employees. As for the Gran Fury cop cars, they went straight to the modification shop.

Yes, the full meaning of the 703 code may be really helpful.

Last edited:
Back