Show off your Formal!

Mr C

Reaction score
I was surprised that this hasn't been done yet. Calling all Formals!

My 74 Imperial duo (2 and 4 dr hardtops) and my 77 T&C. A few different shots of them.

HPIM1790.jpg

HPIM1815.jpg

T&C 003.jpg

COMA Show 2010.jpg

HPIM1896.jpg

528984_378220135533343_1281208195_n.jpg

I was surprised that this hasn't been done yet. Calling all Formals!

My 74 Imperial duo (2 and 4 dr hardtops) and my 77 T&C. A few different shots of them.

The best Formal's on FCBO.....hands down!

One of the "things" that I've noticed about the FCBO Formals....everyone has a perfect hood ornament. Most of the Formals have the red shields missing or the red is completely faded out. I still have to get a NOS hood ornament for my Newport....the red on the shields are completely faded on mine.

Formals have got to be one of the only cars that look best in 4dr versions IMHO. 2drs dont look bad at all, but something about the 4drs...

Formals have got to be one of the only cars that look best in 4dr versions IMHO. 2drs dont look bad at all, but something about the 4drs...

To me they were designed as a 4 door and look a lot better than a coupe.

Yup, the 67/68 lower contour or "skeg line " as they called it was brought back for the Formals. I think it was an easy means of flaring the body out for the rear wheels and incorporating the skirt without disrupting the body lines.

The similarities are too close, Mr C.
My thoughts are that the designers purposely tried to recapture the lines of the 67/68 Chryslers.
I'm not going to speculate whether it was out of laziness or inspiration.
Seeing as all the overall Formal lines were "me too" copies of GM (Caprice?) and Ford (LTD?), methinks the more ambitious designers tried to incorporate past design features into their white bread bland styling to keep them from being total GM and Ford clones. Sort of a Hail Mary pass by the designers.

The similarities are too close, Mr C.
My thoughts are that the designers purposely tried to recapture the lines of the 67/68 Chryslers.
I'm not going to speculate whether it was out of laziness or inspiration.
Seeing as all the overall Formal lines were "me too" copies of GM (Caprice?) and Ford (LTD?), methinks the more ambitious designers tried to incorporate past design features into their white bread bland styling to keep them from being total GM and Ford clones. Sort of a Hail Mary pass by the designers.

Could be...I have no idea if it was a hail Mary. I could easily buy a purposeful resurrection of previous Corporate design to try and foster a distinctive Chrysler feel by jogging some memories.

Back