Showing off a little

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Had the Satellite out this weekend at Virginia Motorsports Park. It was an 1/8 mile race, but on the first round of qualifying they turn on the 1/4 clocks. So I'm proud as she went the quickest so far. I was a bit easy on her as I shifted to high a few hundred RPM early to keep the revs down at the stripe. I'm the one in the right lane. Not too shabby for a lil' 318 B body. Happy to see all that hard work over the winter pay off. It was hot & humid. My previous best was on a 50 degree October day at the same track. More parts are on the way so it should get even better soon. The pic of the car is not from that run. But is from that track a week eariler.

time ticket 058.jpg

time ticket 044.jpg

Very well done, congrats!

Oh it's been gutted. And some added back (roll bars, sub connectors, etc). I scaled it a few weeks ago at 2980. Less driver. I'm 235.

Its been discussed on here before, but to recap. Its the original 318/904. Mild MP cam similar to the 340 4 speed cam. Eddy dual plane intake, eddy 600 carb, headers, 360 junk yard heads. Stock pistons & crank. Est about 8.1 compression. And about 235 at the tire base on some calculators I've used. 904 has a manual VB & recently installd PTC 3K converter from John Cope racing trans. 4.10 gear with spool 29X10 slicks. I bought the car from a junk yard in August of 1986. I believe I have had a wrench or socket on every nut & bolt on it. I shift it at a lazy 4600 mainly due to the 40 year old stock cast pistons in it. It pulls well past that.

Very nice I'm a firm believer that going fast with a cheap engine is more rewarding than going the same with a high dollar piece.

A buddy of mine has a 67 Belvedere with Mopar aluminum Stage 5 heads, 557 lift cam, big ole 780 Holley double, Hemi 4 speed, 3.23 gears & 8 in street tires. I'm always messing with him & challenging him to a heads up race. He wont do it. He says "you've got slicks & a lot more gear" and I reply you've got a 500 plus horse big block with expensive heads & a 4 speed.

I'm using that MP .557 can in a 440 with ported iron heads, 4.10 rear, frame tied, no bar, no heater box or rear seat. If it doesnt go fast enough to need a bar I will be shopping for a better converter. I have a 10 inch one but not sure of brand or quality, wish I was going to have it together this year but running out of time for this year, good news on that is will be ready for paint in the fall which leaves all winter to assemble

Don't know yet never had it together with these parts and the last time it ran, no slicks, stock 73, 12 inch converter and a tied back kick down only ran low 14s, oh stock heads and valve sizes. New heads have one piece 2.14/1.81 ported, cut down guides, double springs and titanium retainers they are 906 castings. This is all wrapped up in a all steel 69 Barracuda. Hope the car will come in at 3400# with me in it and I'm at 210-215.

A few more pic's

Its a real race car. Comp eng cage, RCI cell. Its so damn cool to turn it loose. That little 318 revs so quickly & is throaty.

race car 004.jpg

race car 003.jpg

race car 006.jpg

I'm thinking about stroking the 400 in my NYB to 451 cubes and adding some pistons to get close to 10:1 and a little cam. Nothing serious...

Don't know yet never had it together with these parts and the last time it ran, no slicks, stock 73, 12 inch converter and a tied back kick down only ran low 14s, oh stock heads and valve sizes. New heads have one piece 2.14/1.81 ported, cut down guides, double springs and titanium retainers they are 906 castings. This is all wrapped up in a all steel 69 Barracuda. Hope the car will come in at 3400# with me in it and I'm at 210-215.

I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes!

I'm thinking about stroking the 400 in my NYB to 451 cubes and adding some pistons to get close to 10:1 and a little cam. Nothing serious...

DO IT Bob !!!!

You are already the performance guy of the formals .. Kick it up a notch or two

Back