Simple starter install question

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
So i have never looked that close at installing a starter. Today i am installing a starter in my 60 Plymouth As i install it I am noticing the starter gear is engaged with the flywheel. Can’t be right. I thought the bendix moved it in and out. Does it just need to be engergized to pop back? It is the original starter motor that the electric shop rebuilt for me.

In the pic is the ‘at rest’ position of the starter gear.
image.jpg

Most starter Bendix drives have a spiral cut on the shaft that will screw the drive back out of the way once the engine starts. The drive will stay there until the next time the starter is engaged. The starter motor screws the drive gear back into mesh with the fly wheel when the motor starts turning to start the engine. You should be able to move the drive gear back and forth by hand by turning the gear.

Dave

Got a set of jumpers? Do a quick test hot wiring it before installing and find out? Good Luck

Most starter Bendix drives have a spiral cut on the shaft that will screw the drive back out of the way once the engine starts. The drive will stay there until the next time the starter is engaged. The starter motor screws the drive gear back into mesh with the fly wheel when the motor starts turning to start the engine. You should be able to move the drive gear back and forth by hand by turning the gear.

Dave
That is where I got spooked. It turns one way and not the other. I will hit it with some juice tonight.

That is where I got spooked. It turns one way and not the other. I will hit it with some juice tonight.

Turning it one way will turn the gear back away from the fly wheel, turning the other way, you are engaged with the starter motor and it should still turn, but you will need a screw driver or something similar to get it to move the motor. I suspect that the rebuild shop test fired the motor and that is why the gear is deployed forward.

Dave

It ran. Gave it a run for a few seconds a few times but it did not retract at rest. As it sped up, it appeared to retract some, may be enough to get it out of the flywheel, but it stopped in the deployed position every time.

It ran. Gave it a run for a few seconds a few times but it did not retract at rest. As it sped up, it appeared to retract some, maybeenoughto getoitofthdrive gear, but it stopped deployed every time

This type of drive is not self retracting, as the engine starts, the flywheel starts to spin much faster than the starter gear, this in turn forces the starter gear to disengage and retract.

Dave

Certainly explains everything I am observing. I will put it in and see what happens when it starts.

Won’t likely get to starting it till Feb or Mar. Exhaust is taking 10 weeks.

Back