[SOLVED] Stuck Trunk Lid - Key turns but doesn't pop lid

The two tubes are connected to a duct under the rear dashboard that is part of the "Flow-Thru" air system (Not A/C) that a lot of the slab C-bodies came with. The lower end of the tubes go through to the underside of the car as drainage, as the louvers behind the rear glass are open to the weather.

I guess this system was pretty common for non-AC cars like mine? I suppose if you have air conditioning, it is not there.

Overall, it has always seemed pretty useless, as it's not a defogger, and it really doesn't move that much air; but at least it's operational i guess...

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. I knew it had to do with keeping air moving through the cabin. It may have been designed to be helpful on rainy damp days, to keep the windows clear. I learned something new today.

Thank you for the response. I knew it had to do with keeping air moving through the cabin. It may have been designed to be helpful on rainy damp days, to keep the windows clear. I learned something new today.
There is no air movement through the cabin, the tubes go from the underside of the car to the louvers between the rear glass and the trunk lid, venting outside as mentioned.
I have it on my 67 Newport and to me it's a useless design, if anything, when the tubes fail it may allow carbon monoxide to enter the cabin.
This feature did not stay around for very long.
Hope someone chimes in to explain it's usfullness.

Have a nice day,

PT

screenshot_20191102-164351-png.png

Back