Sound System

did your car rattle a lot? I know my car rattles a lot and I'm probably going to have to do a lot of tweaking and working to make it not rattle. Ill definitely look into that thanks!
I put sound deadening material in the floor and the sides but I am also not running 12" subwoofers in monster boxes so it isn't moving a lot of air. Stormer is right I have the first subwoofer in my MGB. I have no rattle at all. It is mounted to a rear metal panel with no sound deadening but a panel made of black board with a thin foam and then covered in vinyl firing to the front of the car. I had it just loose in the back at first but that was a bad idea too much sliding around.

I gotcha. I know the rear floor of my wagon can come out, so I'm thinking of taking it out and laying some sound deadener down and putting everything back in and make sure all the bolts are extra tight so there is no rattle.

Are you going to put the radio in the dash? or make a console for it? Im thinking of making a console for mine and doing it nice and putting speakers in the console so I don't have to cut up kick panels or doors. I'd like to see some pictures of how you do your radio and speakers if you don't mind.

I put that same radio in my '66 300, but I left the original (non-functional) radio in the dash.
Best Buy sells a universal mount that I used and modified to make into a little trans tunnel console that fits up close under the dash.
The radio has a full function remote so I tucked the radio as far back under there as I could get it.
I make use of the wiring plug-in adapter and can remove the radio if I'm in an area where it might get my windows knocked out.
The radio and CD player sound great in the car.
And it has the Aux input for Ipods, etc.
No pictures right now but I will take some and post them.

Last edited:
In the dash......you'll need this adapter. Best Buy has it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120996700/In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html?tp=3121

x120996700-f.jpeg

not the dash you will regret it i pit mine in the glove box and i did a lot of dynomat in my car still have to do the truck

I'm planning on installing something in my car. I will probably build a console for the tranny hump. It will extend upward to the dash. I have a brand new (still in the box) Koss AM/FM Cassette head unit with an AUX input for mp3, portable CD player or whatever, so, I'll be using it. I tried to fit it in the dash opening for the original AM radio, which I've already removed, but it's just slightly too big. I don't want to cut my dash. I'll make a panel to cover that opening and possibly mount some switches there. I don't have an amplifier as of now, but I do have several different pairs of leftover speakers that I could use.

Those adapter kits might not be much help if your car is a '65-'73 C-body. The factory radios in the early cars were styled/designed to fit the dash. They weren't "generic" at all.:)

That radio mount adapter I posted will work in 1978 NYB without cutting up the dash and it's reversible. I have a factory am/fm/cb radio that is not working properly and the special power antenna is broke and unobtainable so I'm going with the modern radio and a standard Chrysler power antenna.

I am getting ready to install a stereo in my '69 Fury. The previous owner had an aftermarket CD deck already installed in the same location as the factory radio and it fit fine. Did not see if he tweaked it at all to make it fit. He did cut 4" speakers into the kick panel plastic right next to the vents. So I am going to still use those holes. My plans are as follows.... Alpine deck, pair of 4" Orion XTR coax to replace the stock 4X10 in the dash (making adapter plate), Orion C series 6X9's for rear deck, Orion C series 5.25 component set for the holes that were cut in the kick panels, pair of Orion XTR 12" subwoofers for the trunk, Orion XTR 1000watt amp for subs, Orion XTR 500watt amp for components, Audiopipe 2 farad capacitor and 100A alternator to keep the headlights from blinking. Changing the alternator wire to battery to 0gauge as well. I've had a few stereos in cars over the years...and the repeat offenders for rattle that I've always had was the license plates, tail lights, and spare tire/jack. The older cars I had stereos in surprisingly had less rattle than the newer cars did....go figure :) It'll be awhile before I get it all in....since the car was JUST painted. Got it for cheap and needed LOTS of work....but getting there :)
248324_508757282524462_1590381144_n.jpg380924_508804025853121_205344616_n.jpg

248324_508757282524462_1590381144_n.jpg

380924_508804025853121_205344616_n.jpg

an aftermarket radio will fit right into the existing radio spot of a 69 to 73 Fury , 71/73 Polara / Monaco

I'm planning on installing something in my car. I will probably build a console for the tranny hump. It will extend upward to the dash. I have a brand new (still in the box) Koss AM/FM Cassette head unit with an AUX input for mp3, portable CD player or whatever, so, I'll be using it. I tried to fit it in the dash opening for the original AM radio, which I've already removed, but it's just slightly too big. I don't want to cut my dash. I'll make a panel to cover that opening and possibly mount some switches there. I don't have an amplifier as of now, but I do have several different pairs of leftover speakers that I could use.
On my car, where the old radio came out, I made a new panel and put in an oil pressure gauge and a temperature gauge. I like the way it looks, but each to their own.

I am getting ready to install a stereo in my '69 Fury. The previous owner had an aftermarket CD deck already installed in the same location as the factory radio and it fit fine. Did not see if he tweaked it at all to make it fit. He did cut 4" speakers into the kick panel plastic right next to the vents. So I am going to still use those holes. My plans are as follows.... Alpine deck, pair of 4" Orion XTR coax to replace the stock 4X10 in the dash (making adapter plate), Orion C series 6X9's for rear deck, Orion C series 5.25 component set for the holes that were cut in the kick panels, pair of Orion XTR 12" subwoofers for the trunk, Orion XTR 1000watt amp for subs, Orion XTR 500watt amp for components, Audiopipe 2 farad capacitor and 100A alternator to keep the headlights from blinking. Changing the alternator wire to battery to 0gauge as well. I've had a few stereos in cars over the years...and the repeat offenders for rattle that I've always had was the license plates, tail lights, and spare tire/jack. The older cars I had stereos in surprisingly had less rattle than the newer cars did....go figure :) It'll be awhile before I get it all in....since the car was JUST painted. Got it for cheap and needed LOTS of work....but getting there :)
View attachment 11794View attachment 11795
That sounds like its going to be an awesome system!!! Let me know how it turns out. I think I'm going to build two consoles in my car. And mount the speakers in them, but yet im still unsure about it. I don't really want to cut up the doors or anything if I don't have to.

I would love to do a 7 or 8 inch nav screen but I have no room for that. My super genius neighbor was just telling me about Alpine & somebody else releasing new decks that are controlled entirely by iPad. That's right up my alley & I'm gonna look into it. A quick google search didn't come up with much.

I would love to do a 7 or 8 inch nav screen but I have no room for that. My super genius neighbor was just telling me about Alpine & somebody else releasing new decks that are controlled entirely by iPad. That's right up my alley & I'm gonna look into it. A quick google search didn't come up with much.
If you find anything on that nav screen, can you please share with us. Id love that to. I think it would be pretty cool

Back