spark plug recommendation for a 70 440 TNT

1019-heat-range-chart-1024x662.jpg

I have never ever had a problem with Champion spark plugs. I’ve been using them from the mid 70s in all my Mopars from stock, mild to wild. My last engine dynoe’d at 655 hp and 620 tq. I tried other brand plugs and always went back to Champions. Kim

I have never ever had a problem with Champion spark plugs. I’ve been using them from the mid 70s in all my Mopars from stock, mild to wild. My last engine dynoe’d at 655 hp and 620 tq. I tried other brand plugs and always went back to Champions. Kim

Oh I've found Champion plugs to be the best for the 383 and 440 I had 16 yrs ago too. I've tried Bosch and Autolite in addition to Champion and have found them the most agreeable with my 383 in particular. Be this as it may, the modern J12Y recommended by Rock Auto for a 2 barrel engine would give me some pre-ignition pinging, while the NOS J13Ys and even smoother, the J14Ys make that old motor purr ever so smoothly. This has been the little conundrum which has irked me some, and led me to wrongly conclude the plugs are rated hotter with the lower number.

Anyway, if I should exhaust my horde of old NOS J14Ys, I may try the modern J14YC as a replacement.....

Last edited:
Back