Spark Plug Wires - What were original 1970 Fury III?

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
I have a lot of time trying to answer this question, would appreciate some hard evidence - what was the original spec and look of original spark plus wires? I would like to realize the 1) type (carbon or solid or spiral - I researched, found someone saying each type is correct or original), and 2) what diameter (I think I have bought 8mm, what was there is larger and fits wire holders better), and what angle caps to distributor, and lastly what color wires? I figure, if I need to buy something, might as well make it look original.. thanks!

polara71, thanks for the link! does this site have, or anyone know where, there are under hood pictures of new/original cars? be nice to know what my car should look like......thanks!

Below is of a 47,000 original mileage 1970 Dodge 383-2

187134 2004  engine.jpg

A while back, in the Standard Motor Parts online catalog, while looking for plug wires for my '70 Monaco 383, I found the listing and the physical pictorial of each of their part numbers. Reason this is important is that Chrysler used to put 90 degree boots on #7 and #8 cylinder plugs. But that changed in to 145 degree boots on those plugs from about '70 onward. I cursed those things as they could be prone to breakage upon removal (before we knew what dielectric silicone grease was). Some of the earlier years used straight boots back there, but those wouldn't work or look correct for my '70. I was in the Standard Motor Parts catalog as that seemed to be where the more accurate information and parts were.

Looking at the plug wire variations in those charts/pictorials is interesting and seems accurate from what I recall from back then.

Conductor would be "carbon core", but an upgraded inner conductor from what we had in the '50s-'60s. More durable, typically. Personally, I like the spiral wrap conductor. What's internal is not known by looking at the plug wires, unless you look inside the terminals. The normal diameter of the exterior will work fine. No need for an 8mm wire on a stock motor.

On the restoration side of things, you can order plug wires with the correct date coding and such if you desire to pay the money. Most, I suspect, will be for A- and B-body applications, though.

CBODY67

Back