Special order? 74 fury

josehf34

Reaction score
Hi, I don't know where should I post this question so let put it there :)

Near of my 74 fury Vin code is a plate with "special order" letters on it. I don't know what this could mean or what is the "special" feature. The vin code of the car doesn't show something interesting, Just a Black 74 fury, sedan with pillars

What could be?

Sounds like you answered your own question......
Black, sedan, special order..............

The obvious answer is a police package car.......if not another type of agency . The fender tag will tell the story

Awe man, now we have to wait for it?

Some police cars also have a tag "Special Handling Car" . I got one from a Virginia State Police pursuit car. It was a 75ish Fury or Monaco that had all sorts of cool things on it. Transmission cooler, oil cooler, large front and rear sway bars, etc. I was a lot younger back then and was only interested in the engine (440). The engine even had a factory EGR block off plate. Sadly, only thing I still have is the fender tag (and maybe the intake). I'll send a pic of the tag when I have a moment.
Didn't police vehicles have a special VIN tag?

SEXY!

Pymouth_GRAN_FURY.png

Special, could simply be special order and all the refers to is someone sitting down with a sales person and checking boxes and not taking a car off the lot. Again a copy of the data tage would confirm.

Alan

Special, could simply be special order and all the refers to is someone sitting down with a sales person and checking boxes and not taking a car off the lot. Again a copy of the data tage would confirm.

Alan

I disagree with above. "Special Handling" is take extra care with the production of the car. This is typically used on Police cars and for Executive vehicles. My '78 and '79 New Yorkers and '70 Fury pursuit all have this designation on the radiator support tag.

I disagree with above. "Special Handling" is take extra care with the production of the car. This is typically used on Police cars and for Executive vehicles. My '78 and '79 New Yorkers and '70 Fury pursuit all have this designation on the radiator support tag.

Whereas that may be true the original poster said there is special order, what that entails can be anything within the order boxes or "special" like the CHP cars. I'm not up on the 69 tags but in 67 special order was just another code on the regular data plate. As for 74, that is getting pretty far from most of my knowledge.

The secondary tags also can have "Special Mask" typical of many police cars, and "Special Paint" usualy on colors not a standard color for that year, will have a 99 paint code.

Apparently "Special Handling Car" does exist but again not what the original poster was asking about.

Alan

Can you post a picture of all the fender tags?

Can't just paint alone end up as "Special Handling'?

And Police cars have the A58 code?

I have posted my '70 Fury III Pursuit fender tag before her about a year ago on the thread of this car. The other two are in storage and no where near me at this time.

Of all the ones I've seen, a special handling tag(when mounted on the core support) meant that it was a police edition and had the heavier suspension, front and rear sway bars, etc. If you pay close attention, there is an angle iron "strap" welded on the frame and located between the firewall mounts and the backside of the a arm mounts. Usually welded on the top, inside corner of the frame.

Alan

Concur- "Special order" could be everything from Service (Police) & Executive order cars to Joe Blow who ordered the car the way he wanted it.

I once owned a "Special Order" 78 NYB, and it was nothing "special" just a really loaded NYB.

Can't just paint alone end up as "Special Handling'?

And Police cars have the A58 code?

There are a lot of variations as to 'Special' tags and what triggered them. Depending on the year and plant, paint could garner a 'Special Handling'
I'm pretty sure A38 doesn't show up on cop car tags until '77.

Pricing_Special_Order_800.jpg

special_tags_800.jpg

tires_special_order_800.jpg

Back