Speedometer reading and gear selection

ok...follow me for a second...what you say makes perfect sense...until you start at the 60 and count large ticks back to the first one.....which lands at 0....the 60 and 70 are the only ones that even remotely line up. That is what I dont understand..
Your pic doesn't show it, but do you have a 120 listed on the speedo??? If so, this makes perfect sense, otherwise the following quote is a true statement! Good Luck
The first tick is zero. If you start at the first one and count you will end up at 120 which is correct for that car.

Well . . . there are TWO ways to do that deal. One is the gps speedo in the street rod realm of things. Seems like that unit was over $200.00 last time I looked, a few years ago. The other way is a signal generator (similar to what OEMs use with the electronic clusters, since about '88 or so on GM pickups. Not unlike the wheel speed sensors for the ABS and traction control.

So you'll need a "driver" to move the needle and a stepper motor to run the odometer.

OR you can get a holder for your phone and set it to "gps speed", OR a Garmin (or similar) mapping device that will also show where you've been, what distance, and at what varying velocities (as in vehicle tracing of company vehicles, by subscription).

A bigger issue might be "parallax readings", by not looking at the speedo "head on"? But then I never had any issues with reading my '67 CE23's speedometer. FWIW.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Well . . . there are TWO ways to do that deal. One is the gps speedo in the street rod realm of things. Seems like that unit was over $200.00 last time I looked, a few years ago. The other way is a signal generator (similar to what OEMs use with the electronic clusters, since about '88 or so on GM pickups. Not unlike the wheel speed sensors for the ABS and traction control.

So you'll need a "driver" to move the needle and a stepper motor to run the odometer.

OR you can get a holder for your phone and set it to "gps speed", OR a Garmin (or similar) mapping device that will also show where you've been, what distance, and at what varying velocities (as in vehicle tracing of company vehicles, by subscription).

A bigger issue might be "parallax readings", by not looking at the speedo "head on"? But then I never had any issues with reading my '67 CE23's speedometer. FWIW.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Last time I fiddled with speedometer gears, I used milage markers on the freeway. Done.

swapped in a 31 today...much better...now im only 5mph off from gps...on the high side. 45 when it says 50. Im good with that for now. Its better than 25mph off....oh and BTW...there is HOT trans fluid behind that speedo drive just in case anyone DIDNT KNOW THAT....smh...

swapped in a 31 today...much better...now im only 5mph off from gps...on the high side. 45 when it says 50. Im good with that for now. Its better than 25mph off....oh and BTW...there is HOT trans fluid behind that speedo drive just in case anyone DIDNT KNOW THAT....smh...
When you get the 15 inch tires on her,she should be bang on.
Thanks for the update..

....oh and BTW...there is HOT trans fluid behind that speedo drive just in case anyone DIDNT KNOW THAT....smh...

Not if it's cold the next day. That's where being a tech in a dealership in 1975 at 19 gives a fellow a sense of.....sensibility. :D

Congrats on getting close with the roadspeed.

When you get the 15 inch tires on her,she should be bang on.
Thanks for the update..
I changed the rear wheels to the 15s....neglected to say that. I will check the odometer today to see if its a lazy Speedo or if it's still needing another tooth change.

Back