Starter run on ‘68 Polara

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I went to start my car this evening and as soon as I started it, the starter stayed engaged. As soon as I turn power of it continues to crank. As soon as I disconnect the battery the starter stops and the starter disengages. If I re-connect the battery, everything is back to normal. Hit the starter starter engages, engine starts, let off the key, starter continues to crank, turn off the key engine kills but starter continues to crank until I disconnect the battery.
I need to think through this.
Two choices are starter relay or
Starter Solenoid.
Starter relay energizes the solenoid and keep the solenoid energized until the key is released. Could the starter relay be sticking and keeping power to the starter?

Or is my solenoid not releasing? This should only happen if power is still applied or my solenoid spring is broken. My overrunning clutch and seems to be operating normally.
Thinking....

I ran a jumper between the relay and black starter solenoid wire. My plan was to disconnect it to take the relay out of play when it stuck again. Well. It didn’t stick. Tried about 10 more times. Still didn’t stick. I am guessing the relay as well. It is one item I have not replaced. It could be original or from the ‘80’s. Maybe messing around with the relay and disconnecting the wires shifted some things around. I hate it when things seem to fix themselves.

IMHO, the chances of the starter causing the problem are much less than the starter relay. I wouldn't be surprised if it were intermittent if it were either, but the starter relay is much easier to change and cheaper.

I hate to say change it to completely diagnose, but the test you did does lean that way and should it not be the starter relay, having a spare relay on the shelf really isn't a bad thing.

I'd start with the relay. It's a lot easier to do than the starter. Testing the relay without the starter load won't heat the contacts and cause them to fuse together.

I thought it was the air cleaner wingnut!
You know when it happened the air cleaner and wingnut was sitting on my work bench.
Huh???? (I wanted to watch my automatic choke action. It is better than tv on a Sunday night)

Last edited:
I ordered a relay today. I could not find an A/C Delco (or one with one hole and alignment tang) in the city of Fargo. Usually O’Riellys or Napa has something I need at one of their local stores to save shipping.
Went to RA. Best deal with shipping.

I have my nut driver ready to go. If it happens again before I get my new relay I plan on pulling the black starter solenoid energize wire from my relay. If it stops, it was a relay issue. If it keeps going my solenoid contact is hung up in the starter. (and I will be diving for my 1/2” wrench to disconnect the battery.)

Better bypas the amp meter, spray some rhino liner and POR 15 all over the car, install a pertronix, a 130 amp alternator, and the widest possible tires and wheels. If that won’t work the go EFI. LOL

Better bypas the amp meter, spray some rhino liner and POR 15 all over the car, install a pertronix, a 130 amp alternator, and the widest possible tires and wheels. If that won’t work the go EFI. LOL
So do you have step by step instructions with a YouTube video on how to do this along with installing a Hellcat crate engine to fix my problem? :popcorn:
It is about time for another project. Not sure what yet.

So do you have step by step instructions with a YouTube video on how to do this along with installing a Hellcat crate engine to fix my problem? :popcorn:
Only if your going to turn it into a lowrider, both air bags and hydraulics are covered.

LOL. No I think you got it nailed on your Dodge. Nice car!

Back