Steering box adjustment

In addition to the box there are two connection points requiring inspection which can add sloppyness:

1) The rubber coupler or rag joint up near the firewall. Often hiding under a tin heatshield they are notorious for cracking and becoming dangerously sloppy. Don't ignore checking it out. Replacements are drying up, but there are alternatives.

2) The slip joint coupling just in front of the steering box. Often overlooked because people don't know how to rebuild them, rebuild kits are easily available.

Both these items need to be in perfect shape to eliminate any slop in the steering that the box will simply magnify.
Does anyone know of the procedure for removing that tin can cover in order to get the rag joint out? Trying to do this on my70 C-body, but I can't find the head of the bolts on the other end from where the nut is. It seems to be covered over by the tin box somehow?
Nothing in my 70 shop manual on it.

There are 3 tiny *** screws that are usually rusted pretty badly
Vide grips are usually required

The tin can cover is held on with 3 phillips head screws. They can be a pain in the arse but access to the rag joint is nearly impossible without removing it.

The 4 bolts that run through the rag joint are big allen head bolts that are countersunk into metal "triangles" in the rag joint, two in either direction.. The nuts will have nylock inserts and cotter pins.

Back