Steering column ?

Airstream

Reaction score
First Hi guys great new layout on this sit. I have been looking form time to time, just not logging in.
problem at hand. tonight coming home form work smoke come out through the steering column of my 1978 Newport, got the the steer and horn assemble apart. now it got to dark to do more.
I thinking it maybe the blinkers switch assemble.
am I right on think this. or is there a more common fault in this area ?

second. While pilling bit off the steering column i sore a rubber plug that was a little bit hot, pull it off and it was a key light by the looks of it. So do these get really hot and why wood it have a rubber cover that no light could shine out ?
also it does't seem to turn off close the door and went back 10minutes later and it was still going.
Thanks for any help. or hints or pics

To your second question:

I am not sure how an iginition key light should look on a Formal, but I assume the cap is put around the actual bulb so as to shield it and direct the light to the area of the igintion lock only. The rubber cap might be a silicone cap colored in a greenish-blue hue to give that ignition key light the same color as the dashboard lighting.

There is an ignition time delay relay in the wiring circuit that shuts off the ignition lock light after around a minute or so. The same part was used for many years on many Mopar vehicles, so it should still be available, should yours be fried.

ry-300_6.jpg

However, if you find it in your car, it might be worthwile to open the relais and check if you can repair it yourself by cleaning the contact areas. It is a thermal unit, very simple in design. usually the small wire inside burns out and then there is no more igintion light, your condition is the other way 'round.

Hi guys.
Thanks for the delay relay unit. I have to look into that on the weekend.
The light is in a round alloy cap with a little green window in the end. The rubber cap or a silicone cap covers the alloy cap with no hole. You cant tell it a light at all with the cap on.
Its as if it was put on while the steering column was painted could that be right ?

Hi Guys.
I have find the problem its in the area circle. it put a groove between the 2 contacts, So when the switch is in the middle is sometime makes contact on both.
as i can't get a new switch assemble any ideas ?
by the way the key light work fine it just me not doing it right.
this pic is not mine one but look the same.

zzzzz.jpg

O.K. Guys need help. what is the ring part in the pic above it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the blinkers as i held it up off the contact and the blinkers still work fine ?

Back