Steering wheels interchange 69/71?

Perhaps a photo essay will help on the differences. All non-tilt column shafts have the same spline size, 1969 to 1973, so no problem fitting there. As for the steering wheel base, ‘69 - ‘70 are close, ’69 is smaller by 1/2 an inch

69 on the left, 70 on the right

View attachment 510312

View attachment 510313

View attachment 510314

69 column and wheel fit.

View attachment 510317

Here is the 1970 mated with the 69 column, as you can see it is wider than the column.

View attachment 510318

The horn ring would hide the differences for the most part.

View attachment 510319

Here is the wheel from a ‘73, very similar to the ‘71. Note that the horn mechanism is quite different than the ‘69-70, it will look odd, but functionally would mount without a problem.

View attachment 510320View attachment 510321View attachment 510322

Hope that helps.
Wow that definitly helps Samplingman! Nothing better than to see, instead of just reading about it. Thanks for these photo´s. So spline differences are not really a issue between 69, 70 or 71´s. Column and wheel width visually could be a thing.
Another thing, these old wheels all seem to have many large cracks. Off course these can be repaired. But, I saw this "wheelcover", not sure what it's called in English. Could that be a solution for camouflaging the cracks? Plus. I like the feel of one. Are these still availible?
20220108_133915.jpg

Wow that definitly helps Samplingman! Nothing better than to see, instead of just reading about it. Thanks for these photo´s. So spline differences are not really a issue between 69, 70 or 71´s. Column and wheel width visually could be a thing.
Another thing, these old wheels all seem to have many large cracks. Off course these can be repaired. But, I saw this "wheelcover", not sure what it's called in English. Could that be a solution for camouflaging the cracks? Plus. I like the feel of one. Are these still availible?View attachment 510457
Yes the wheel cover would be an option. Back in the day we had a leather wrap with straps that made it look cool, but I've not see them for sale recently. I have a '70 wheel that has a few small cracks and I will repair with epoxy and paint, but time will tell if it will lasts.

Back