Strange Thing Happened Today

I was wrong. I have seen a fuse link reconnect. I should have thought of this sooner, since I used one on my '68 (its what I had). Stan is talking about the later style that is used on his car. It has a built-in connector that comes loose and does exactly what he said. It was not used by the factory until the seventies. The earlier style is either good or bad.

That being said, if my link is bad, would the car be inoperable?

Does everything in the car go dead or is it just the engine that quits?
If just the engine is quitting, it might be the ignition switch, one of the connectors in the ignition wiring harness, the ECU, the pick up coil, ect. :)

Last edited:
Stan is talking about the later style that is used on his car. It has a built-in connector that comes loose and does exactly what he said. It was not used by the factory until the seventies. The earlier style is either good or bad.
No, I was talking about the earlier OEM style without the connectors.
The older OEM fusible links were susceptable to intermittant failures. I faild to communicated that they were not designed to "reconnect" but to "fail".
The intermittant part is indicative of pending total failure.

That being said, if my link is bad, would the car be inoperable?
Your fusible link is heading toward total failure.
This goes back to what I said earlier. It's bizzare behaviour will drive trouble shooters to the nut house until it totally fries.
Don't let yours totally fry.

Last edited:
From Evans, "I have a fusible link that is long enough but only a single wire I can make a wire that will go on the same stud with the fusible link and get power to the relay"

A pic of my Fusible Link:

Bill Evans said he can make my link but not until the Spring because that is when they make Fusible Links. WTF? I guess I'll have to check with my guy from M&H.

Last edited:
Bill Evans said he can make my link but not until the Spring because that is when they make Fusible Links. WTF? I guess I'll have to check with my guy from M&H.

What? That doesnt even make sense ..........

You can buy 10 feet of fusable link wire for under $5. A couple of new terminals and you're set.

Just saying......

I just looked in my 70 Service manual and the diagram shows 14 ga.

I'm confused how it works. The main eye hook connects to the Starter Relay. The eye hook itself crimps two wires; one going to the Bulkhead Connector (I assume Fusible Link Wire as it is the thickest) and the other (smaller wire, black with white tracer) goes to the Horn Relay. Which wire is the Fusible Link protecting? The hot side of the Ammeter? Is the wire going to the Horn Relay simply picking up power from the Starter Relay?

Back