Strange Thing Happened Today

I don't remember what mine looks like, but according to the diagram in the FSM both of those wires are fusible links. The power for the horn relay comes directly from that stud on the starter relay without going through the bulkhead connector and the ammeter.

I don't remember what mine looks like, but according to the diagram in the FSM both of those wires are fusible links. The power for the horn relay comes directly from that stud on the starter relay without going through the bulkhead connector and the ammeter.

You're correct Dan. Looks like I'll have to source two different gauges of Fusible Link Wire. I'm still uncertain on the gauge(s) for my application as the FSM doesn't specify the gauge. On the Wiring Diagram in the FSM it just shows a dotted line identified as "Safety Link" with no mention of wire gauge. I think it would be 14 ga and 18 ga.

Last edited:
2u5544j.jpg

28iula9.jpg

Yah, I caught that too late. Wonder when green was 14 ga. and when red was 14 ga.

Chrysler did a lot of screwy things with their electrical diagrams. I've seen some early fifties diagrams that used line width to show wire size with color marked on the wire. Then some early sixties are called out with a "legend" on the side showing color and size. Get into the late sixties and the wire size and color are shown on each wire.

This drove me nuts when I was wiring my '53 Windsor. I used both 53 and 54 manuals to figure out some of the sizes and colors. The 54 was easier to read, but the '53 was mostly correct.

Per big John's link:

Typically, a given harness segment is protected by fusible link that is four gauge numbers smaller. A 14-gauge wire would be protected by an 18-gauge fusible link. A 6-gauge wire would be protected by a 10-gauge link, and so on. Odd number wire gauge sizes like 19, 15, 13 and 11 are counted when sizing a link. The length of a fusible link should not exceed 9".

So I thought I would dig up this thread from about a year ago as the issue recently happened again, a couple time; once while coming to a stop and the other time at idle. All the electrical was functioning when the car died, so I do not think it is the Fusible Link. It only dies at idle (low RPM). I think it is a fuel delivery issue because it stumbles a bit before it dies, almost like it is starving for fuel. A while back, I had an ignition issue (bad condenser) and it just died. This is different. I checked my Fuel Pump Pushrod and it measures exactly 3.25" so I know it isn't that. Any other ideas? Carb? Issue with the Idle Circuit? Pump? I would think if it were the pump, it wouldn't just act up at low RPM. Filter? Clogged filter not able to pass fuel enough fuel at low RPM?

Maybe ethanol gas is affecting something like the check valves in pump? I had stack up problems in my Challenger, sucking air through pin holes in sending unit, restriction in fuel line, hole in diapham for vac secondaries and bad ground on ecu, all added up to cause numerous drivability problems.

Maybe ethanol gas is affecting something like the check valves in pump? I had stack up problems in my Challenger, sucking air through pin holes in sending unit, restriction in fuel line, hole in diapham for vac secondaries and bad ground on ecu, all added up to cause numerous drivability problems.

Maybe I will test the pump per the FSM.

Last edited:
Last year the fusible link cut out intermittently on the 68 Monaco 500. I would be driving along then everything went dead. I'd coast to the shoulder and sit a few minutes turn the key and then drive home. This happened repeatedly over a couple months. Very frustrating to diagnose. Eventually the car just died completely at which point I had it towed in and my mechanic who discovered the problem. It wasn't like any fusible link issue I'd ever heard of. Previously I too believed a fusible link was a all or nothing proposition. Fred

Last year the fusible link cut out intermittently on the 68 Monaco 500. I would be driving along then everything went dead. I'd coast to the shoulder and sit a few minutes turn the key and then drive home. This happened repeatedly over a couple months. Very frustrating to diagnose. Eventually the car just died completely at which point I had it towed in and my mechanic who discovered the problem. It wasn't like any fusible link issue I'd ever heard of. Previously I too believed a fusible link was a all or nothing proposition. Fred

Did the entire car go dead or did the motor just quit? In my scenario, other electronic devices such as the radio were still operable.

I would start by looking at the carb. How does the car run at cruise? You could have a problem with the idle circuit

Back