Stumbling after rough acceleration.

Jon O.

Reaction score
My 1972 Newport 400 ci. I just had new axel bearings installed, and manually adjusted the brakes. Just to be sure that they were right, I drove to an alley, and backed up hard, and then hit the brakes to adjust them. It already had an exhaust leak, maybe it's related? But the second time I did it, the exhaust pipe moved, and started tapping against the gas tank. I already moved it back. Now after that, it kind of "coughs" When idling it is normal then a quick "cough" then the speed comes back up. When starting from a stoplight it feels like im pushing the pedal in and out. The engine speeds up and slows down quickly on it's own as it struggles to get moving. Once you are up to steady speed it runs alright. Only when accelerating. What might this be?

Sounds like you may have disturbed some crap in the float bowl. I'd rebuild the carb. Might want to replace the fuel filter too in order to make sure any debris in the tank that got disturbed is kept out of the carb. You realize too, light backups will adjust it, as will using the parking brake...

Sounds like you may have disturbed some crap in the float bowl. I'd rebuild the carb. Might want to replace the fuel filter too in order to make sure any debris in the tank that got disturbed is kept out of the carb. You realize too, light backups will adjust it, as will using the parking brake...
Problem solved, somehow a spark plug wire got knocked loose. I'm so glad that it wasn't fuel related, I JUST finished a carburetor rebuild. Woohoo!

Back